Chapter Five.

Chapter Five

Scott:

Beat you to the cliff? Skylar questioned all three of us as we raced around the woods.

Hell yeah! Tristan and Shay yelled.

Yeah! I said.

We were all running under the moon. It was like the moon gave us strength to run. ‘Cause, well, it kind of does. We’re at our strongest at night. We can shift anytime we want, but the time we’re strongest and the most powerful is at night when the moon is full and shining. This is the night all of our family’s wolves go out and race. It’s when we feel more alive than ever! I pushed my legs forward, hoping to pass Shay.

When I was next to him, I knocked my body against him and he growled at me, doing the same thing. We snipped at each other, but broke it off and ran. All the Russo family turned into giant horse sized wolves when they turn fourteen. I’ll admit, it’s a painful transformation, but everything feels better afterwards. Jamie's turn is coming up though in two months and I have never seen him so excited to finally be able to join us. He likes to follow us sometimes, and says that’ll be the day he finally turns into a ‘man’.

When we were closing up on the cliff where the lake was, we heard the waterfall. I pushed my legs to go faster, but so did everyone else. Skylar was first to jump in, then Shay, me, and Tristan lastly. We all went in as wolves, but swam back up to the top as human boys. I ran my hands down my face and pushed my hair back, chuckling.

“I’m getting fast guys, better watch it.”

They all smacked their teeth and pushed and dunked me. Skylar grinned though.

“No one can be me! I’m faster on the field and faster in the woods. All you pansies can’t keep up with me. You all better remember who the oldest is,” he said, going on his back and floating. We joined him and we all went into a debate about who should have really won.

When we noticed Tristan wasn’t saying much, we looked at him.

“Dude, what’s up?” Shay asked, hitting his chest.

“Bummed you came in last?” he asked, Skylar and I chuckling.

He shook his head and sighed heavily, “No, I would have won, but I have my mind on something else.”

“About?” Skylar asked.

“Colleen. She wants me to come over tomorrow night for dinner, but you know how her dad is with me. He still thinks I’m this jock who’s just trying to get in her pants after two years. I’ll admit, I have tried before, but always respected her saying to stop. He’s too protective of her.”

“She’s his only child, and his wife died, of course he’s going to be protective of her,” Shay said. “I mean, I would be. We all will be. We all won’t want our daughters to be with some boy who has as big an ego as ours.”