Chapter Eleven.

Chapter Eleven

Scott.

Tyler was bouncing on my legs as I made some jokes to him when I saw, in the corner of my eyes, my phone being held out to me. I turned my head and saw Abigail holding the phone out for me to take. I stopped Tyler and sat him on my lap, while he started playing with my fork and spoon as I held him with one hand and took the phone, reading it. Tyler isn’t my son, he’s my brother. I blinked blankly at the phone. It slid out of my hand and hit the table.

“Crap,” I said when I heard a smashing sounding and I looked down. My phone was cracked. My eyes widened when what she wrote fully sunk in and my head snapped up to look at her.

“Crap,” I muttered. Both her eyebrows rose and she pointed at Tyler, her, then shook her index finger in a ‘no’ way.

I pointed at him. “He…he isn’t your son?” She nodded and gave me a ‘duh’ look.

“But, wait, you act so motherly to him and I thought…I thought…I just thought since the way he acts around you…” I couldn’t even finish, I was so confused. She just shrugged and made a heart shape with her hands and pointed at him.

“You love him, that’s why?” I guessed and she nodded.

“What? Does your mother not give you any attention or something?” I asked and immediately regretted it when I saw the hurt look on her face. But I bet it’s probably the truth since when I her mom came to the door the other day, she smelled like whiskey. I wonder how her husband deals with her.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that,” I said. She just shrugged, but the look on her face still stayed the same.

“Well, I feel like a dick now,” I said and she gave me a stern look. She put her index finger up to her lips, and pointed at Tyler.

Realizing, my eyes widened. “I mean, I feel like a jerk.”

She grabbed my phone and did her best using it with a cracked screen. She gave it back a second later, I take care of Tyler because I have to and want to. So Tyler isn’t her son. I know it sounds messed up, but I felt like I was the happiest guy on earth. My mate doesn’t have a kid! She isn’t in love with someone else and doesn’t already has a family! My wolf side was excited about that since he kind of has a jealousy issue.

But I find it kind of odd on why she takes care of him. Okay, her mother's a drunk, but her father can still take care of him? Tyler is his son. Another thing crossed my mind, if she isn’t in love with someone else, why is she so defenses and have a hard time letting someone in. Awkward silence hung in the air and I pursed my lips. If you can imagine how much of an idiot I feel like right now. Abigail began to chew at her nails and paid attention to them instead like they were the most important thing in the world right now.

*

I let my body float on the lake water as I stared up at the sky, thinking that was probably the worst date I ever had. The whole time it was quiet. Only making a few comments here and there about the food. I could tell Abigail was finding it very awkward too, but I couldn’t help but notice she looked a little nervous. I breathed out of my mouth, watching my visible breath appear. Good thing my body heat is over a hundred. Or this water would be pretty cold. I thought briefly.