Chapter Eighteen.

“You look so different.”

“I love your hair, Abigail.”

“Oh my god, you should totally sit with us at lunch today!”

Girls went around saying to me, but I just gave them awkward small smiles and shrugged. We we’re in the parking lot of the school until it was time to go in. You may think I’m crazy, but I asked everyone on the way here to keep my little ‘mute’ act a secret. I find I liked it better if no one knew I could talk.

They were confused and shocked, arguing that my life would be much better if I talked, but I didn’t want that. I’m fine with people thinking I’m muted. I prefer it since I’m used to it and liked it.

I’m not much of a talker.

Scott put his arm around me and pulled me into him, kissing the side of my head, “Now ladies, if you don’t mind, can I please have my girlfriend back?” he asked, leaning back on the jeep, bring me along with him.

They all giggled and nodded, turning around and left. I looked around to see if anyone was watching before I looked at Scott, “Everyone so nice to me?” I questionably whispered to him and raised an eyebrow.

He chuckled, “Is that a bad thing?”

I shrugged, “I’m not use to this much attention. It’s kind of annoying.”

“My attention, though?” he asked.

“Really weird.” I said. “I mean, no guys has ever gave me a second look. Here’s the big question, why did you? I mean, why do you like the ‘muted freak’ girl?”

“Okay, for one, you’re not a muted freak.” he said. “And second, maybe I like none-rich-spoiler-label-brand-wearing-bleach-blonde hair girls. Maybe I like girls who can be themselves and not try hanging on me. Ever thought of that?”

I shook my head, “No.”

“Well then you have a lot to learn about me.” he said.

“No, really Scott, I want to know why.” I said.

He sighed heavily and lowered his head down to mine as if he was going to tell it to me as a secret, “Is it so hard to believe someone could care about you so much like how I do?”

Staring at him to see if he was telling the truth, one part of me wanted to believe him, the other part of me had this wall up, blocking the trust. I mean, with the life I have, you would find it hard to believe.

“I…I think we should go inside now.” I said, stepping back from him. “Before we get into more trouble.”

He watched me closely, raising an eyebrow. I crossed my arms over my chest and turned around, walking towards the school building. I felt him follow behind me and I ran my hand threw my hair.