Chapter 48

I was standing in the centre of the arena. My body was covered with wounds and bruises, my muscles ached and I was really tired. I was breathing heavily and trying to concentrate while the crowd around me kept cheering and roaring. Today the people were even louder than usually, but there was an important reason for it. Two days passed since Riku arrived in level 2 and today were the finals of the guild showdown. The final fights between the players from different guilds that managed to make it were about to take place and the first one, where I was competing was just about to start. 

Yesterday I was fighting against Nai. I somehow managed to defeat him, but I knew that he could easily win if he would tap in his alter ego. When he was in his 'normal' state he got easily distracted and that was how I managed to defeat him, but I heard that he was completely different in his alter ego form that appeared if he saw someone hurt his sister Mizuki. I didn't really see him in that state, but apparently when he was in it at the end there was nothing but blood left from his enemies. 

Rea was defeated in the previous round. She was fighting against Rin and she was already hurt from her battle with the redhead girl that had a pet tiger, so it wasn't a surprise that he beat her with just a few attacks. At first I was afraid that Rea was going to be depressed after losing, she was, but she was also telling herself that it wasn't possible to win every time and losing against Rin didn't mean that she was a weak and horrible person. But she still told me to do my best to carry Ravensteed to victory. Being the only one from our team still in the game was a lot of pressure to be put under, specially that the other things that were happening right now were worrying enough, but I was still determined to do my best. 

Besides me there were three other people in the finals and those were actually quite surprising. Those were the little girl from Phenoix's hades called Kamiko, Rin and Kaito, the guy from FATE that I tricked during the first competition. Today there were no recovery rounds scheduled, Ikari already announced how the last part of the competition was going to go. First the commentators will randomly divide the finalists in to two pairs that will fight each other, than the winners from both pairs will have to battle and that will determine the winner of the guild showdown. 

Right now the first fight was about to begin and I was unfortunate enough to have no idea what exactly I was fighting against. I did know that she was Kamiko, the expressionless little girl with yellow hair from Phoenix's hades, but I was never around when she was fighting so I didn't know what techniques did she use. That was why I knew that I had to be careful, because even if I didn't know how did she fight, she was still surely strong, considering that she made it to the finals instead of her big and scary looking partner. 

'' Now, if you're going to accept we'll begin the duel. Otherwise leave the arena, there is no shame in deciding to quit the competition, '' Kamiko suddenly spoke up. 

My eyes slightly widened with surprise at the sound of her calm and soft voice. It was obvious that she wasn't even a slightest bit worried about this fight, she thought that she was surely going to win. Then my eyes stopped on the screen that was floating next to me, asking me to accept the duel against player Kamiko. I slowly raised my hand and clicked 'yes, then I narrowed my eyes in her direction again, carefully watching her every move. 

To my surprise she actually didn't do anything, she just stood there, watching me with a serious expression on her face that kind of resembled Waru's. I took a step to the left, wanting to see if she would try to do something that way, but she still just stood there. Then when I stepped closer to her she just slowly raised her hands and placed herself in a fighting position, still staring at me with an expressionless look on her face. I knew that even if she seemed convinced about winning this fight she was still careful. She wasn't stupid and I had no idea how I was going to defeat her. But first I needed to find out what could she even do.