Chapter 39

The cave I was in was dark and quiet, the only sound you could hear were the drops of water, falling in different puddles. A slight wind was blowing through the huge open space, full of graves, making my hair raise in the air. After the Knights of the Kingdom attacked the previous headquarters of the Demon alliance a funeral was held for the people that died then. But since players didn't leave a corpse behind when they disappeared, Kei came up with a different way of doing memorials for the guild members that died. They did prepare graves for the people that got killed, but instead of burying bodies they made crosses with their names and in front of them they placed the player's weapons or something else that represented them.

I still remembered the sadness of that day, when I was standing in this cave next to my guild members. Some of them were crying, others just stared at the new twenty one graves in front of us. The memorial was held for the people that died for the first time too, but it was still sad because no one knew if we'll be able to bring them back.

But that wasn't the reason I was here tonight. Karoku teleported me inside the hideout because I needed to see something else. A new grave, next to the twenty one others, newly made, with a cross and a stone placed in front of it, covered with beautiful carvings. The grave of a player that used Earth magic skills, an insomniac that died for the second time. It was yesterday morning when Korumi died, protecting the lives of Seira and Nagisa. The first time that she died was because she tried to commit suicide, thinking that she was never going to return to the real world and see her son again.

I stood there for another few moments, my hands began shaking when I realised that she was gone and that she wasn't going to come back. That was when I collapsed on my knees, covered my face with my hands and began to sob quietly.

Karoku that was standing behind me narrowed his eyes and seriously murmured: '' People die all the time in this game. ''

I froze with shock, then I turned at him and yelled with anger: '' That's not the same! I don't know those people, well, I still believe that most of them didn't deserve to die, but different from them, I did know Korumi! Maybe she just helped me train a little, but despite being serious and always annoyed by everything she also talked a lot and when she did it was about her son! He meant the world to her and the only reason she kept fighting was... S-she was doing everything to go back to him. '' My eyes widened with horror and I stared at my shaky fingers, clenched in to fists. Then I looked at Karoku again, ignoring the tears that were falling down my cheeks and screamed: '' He's all alone now! Waiting for her to come back and he has no idea that she won't! B-Be-Because t-this game... It took another precious life... '' I quietly stuttered, covered my face with my hands and began sobbing again.

I couldn't even think straight any more. My mind was shaken and I was afraid, I was so afraid because she died. She was one of the people that I thought were going to stay here to the end, they were going to come back because they wanted it so much. They had hope, hope to see their family members again. And that hope turned out to be worthless, something that got them killed.

'' I-It's n-not f-fa-fair... '' I whispered. '' S-Some like her shouldn't have d-d-... '' As much as I tried I couldn't say the word out loud. I still had troubles with dealing with things like this. Death was scary, I knew from my personal experience and I found it really hard to kill others, even when my life depended on it. When I killed Toushirou, it changed me completely, it was like a part of me died that day, a part that was never going to come back, because still saw her face every time I closed my eyes.

'' Life is not fair, '' Karoku murmured. '' I thought that you already knew that, considering everything that happened until now. ''

I slowly stood up from the ground, with my head lowered and clenching my fists with anger. '' B-But why can't we do anything about it? '' I whispered.