Chapter 34

'' Tell me where we're going! '' I demanded, with seriousness in my voice. A sigh came out of my mouth when Karoku simply ignored me, just like the previous one hundred times when I asked him. Right now we were flying above the grey clouds of mist that were floating around our level, I felt weird being on his back and I was trying not to be too amazed, even if the huge full moon that was behind us did look pretty amazing. 

I closed my eyes for a moment, enjoying the cold breeze that was caressing my cheeks, then I opened them again and pulled Karoku's blue hair, finally gaining his attention. '' What? '' he snapped with annoyance. '' I can still drop you here you know. ''  

I narrowed my eyes and muttered: '' You wouldn't dare. '' Then I looked over his head. '' Tell me where we're going! '' 

'' Just be quiet for another moment and don't keep ruining this for me. I wanted to show you something because I thought that you'll find it pretty. I can still change my mind and fly us back to the headquarters, but you'll never find out what I wanted to show you, '' he seriously replied. '' We're almost there anyway so just shut up. ''  

I sighed and said with disappointment: '' I don't like surprises. '' 

'' Like I care, '' Karoku snapped, then he noticed the angry look on my face, sighed and spoke up again, calmer: '' You'll like this one, trust me. '' He actually sounded excited. That made me curious again so I decided to stay silent for the rest of the way and stop complaining. A few seconds later he suddenly flew lower, under the clouds again. I blinked and frowned with confusion. '' Are we going to the ground? ''  

'' No. We'll switch positions, '' he told me and stopped flying so we were just floating there in the air.

My eyes widened with surprise, then I slowly looked down at the ground. '' Y-You want me to carry you? But I don't know how to fly! '' I stuttered and tightened my grip on him. When he was floating there like that I was starting to get a bad feeling that my body was just going to slide down and fall. I was actually starting to understand how could Riku have a fear of heights. 

Karoku rolled his eyes, looking annoyed. '' No, you idiot. I know that you can't fly. I'll still carry you, I just want you to be in the front. ''  

I sighed and decided to do as he said, even if I was still kind of skeptical, not sure if I should actually trust him. Somehow I managed to move in the front, so I was pressing my back to his stomach. He was holding my wrists, stopping me from falling and when we moved again I had to admit that it actually felt kind of amazing, because it was like I was flying on my own. '' You know what, I could get used to this... '' I said, smirking and enjoying the wind in my hair. 

'' My hands touching you? '' Karoku asked, sounding all innocent, but I knew what he was thinking. 

I blushed and frowned. '' I meant flying, you idiot. Are you going to show me what you wanted to show me soon? ''  

'' We're here, '' he replied, I looked over my shoulder at his face. I blushed even more when I noticed that it was just a few inches away from mine, but thankfully he didn't see that. Somehow the expression on his face made my heart race faster. His red eyes were wide, sparkling with enthusiasm which was an unusual sight and there was an excited smile on his face.  

I turned away from him and stared at my surroundings, wondering what was so pretty that he was about to show me. To my surprise we flew through the grey clouds of fog that were floating on top of us again. When we reached the bright night sky, covered with stars my eyes slowly widened with amazement. '' No way, '' I whispered with disbelief, almost not believing that what I was seeing could be true. Karoku was right. It really was pretty, it was actually the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.