Chapter 45

I was walking through the building next to the arena, thinking about my encounter with Hikari. Then I noticed two people that were talking about the fights that were happening and quickly rushed closer to them, asking: '' Excuse me, did the fights already finish for today? '' If I heard Ikari correctly then there will be five fights today and five tomorrow to get the qualification for the next round, plus five others where one of the contestants that lost before would get a chance to go back in the game. But that wasn't why I stepped to those people, I was worried about something, well, actually someone. 

One of the two guys shook his head and frowned. '' Actually the last one for today just started, but we left because it isn't really much fun to watch, just some girl getting beat up by another girl. I think that it'll end quickly... ''  

The other guy suddenly looked at me. '' Aren't you... Aren't you the girl that's with the one that's getting beaten up? ''  

My eyes instantly widened with realisation and I quickly sprinted past the two guys and ran in the direction of the balcony where the other players were. Rea was loosing in a fight and I knew that it was probably only because she still had problems with her confidence. Other than that she really wasn't a weak player, her special skill was pretty strong, she just didn't believe that and already lost most fights before they didn't even start. But I couldn't let her lose this one too because of it, not after we came this far. Winning this competition meant a lot to her and if she would lose now she would never stop blaming herself for the accident that happened to her little brother, even if it wasn't really her fault. I did believe that she was going to see that one day, but I also knew that this wasn't going to be that day. But to get closer to that she needed to start believing in herself and the first step in that would be fighting back instead of instantly giving up, saying that she was too weak. 

I pushed the doors that leaded to the balcony open and stopped there for a moment, catching my breath. Then I stepped between some players that were still there, watching the fight. I leaned over the fence that was surrounding the balcony and screamed: '' Rea! '' 

There she was, in the middle of the arena. The girl she was fighting against, I didn't know who she was, except that she was a beast tamer with a pet tiger that helped her in fights was holding her in the air by her neck. Rea, all beat up and covered in blood and bruises slowly raised her head at the sound of my voice. Even from where I was I could see how her eyes were lost, how she didn't believe that she could win. 

'' Rea, fight back! '' I screamed gripped the fence I was leaning over. '' Fight back, if you won't fight back you'll never get over the guilt that is haunting you! Why can't you understand, damn, are you stupid?! An event that occurred in the past doesn't decide if you're strong or not, you decide that! You decide if you're going to give up before even starting or fight back! You think that you'll loose anyway, but maybe you won't! ''  

I watched how Rea's yellow eyes slowly gained colour again, then she suddenly raised her leg and kicked the girl she was fighting against, causing her to drop her on the ground. She quickly took a few steps back, limping because of the wound on her leg. It seemed like she was in pain, but her eyes still narrowed with new found determination. When she raised her hand and made a move with it through the air it was like she became a completely different person.  

I watched with amazement how runes appeared in the air in front of her and turned in to fire, at the same exact moment when the tiger of the girl she was fighting against jumped in her direction. The animal roared in pain and fell on the ground. Rea quickly made another move, causing runes to surround it in a circle and then turn in to a barrier, protecting her from any other attacks of the monster. Then she turned at the girl she was fighting. She was obviously angry that Rea hurt her pet and ran in her direction, ready to attack her. Rea quickly limped for a few steps back, quickly making another move, surrounding the girl with a similar barrier that was around her tiger. Then she crossed her arms in front of her and took a deep breath, concentrating. At first nothing happened, then suddenly her runes, made of bright light began writing through the air around her. Then she leaped forward, reaching out with her arm. The girl that was screaming and struggling in the barrier she was in stared at Rea with shock before Rea's hand went right through the barrier and touched her forehead. The runes that were surrounding her before suddenly disappeared, then they began reappearing, small writings that were almost completely covering the girl's body. She then collapsed on the ground, screaming and struggling in pain, I didn't see more than that, only that her HP was dropping during that. When it was finally completely gone and reappeared again Ikari announced Rea as the winner of the match.