Chapter 41

That morning I got woken up by the loud sound of trumpets that made me jump in the air with surprise, get tangled in my bed covers and end up with my face, hitting the ground. Then I had to hurry and get ready for what was going to happen that day, the introduction of the teams from different guilds that were going to fight against each other. By the time Rea and I reached a room from where we were supposed to walk in the arena I already heard the sounds of cheering and yelling, coming from the crowd that was watching that came to watch the guild showdown. The truth was that I wasn't expecting it to be like that. Yesterday the whole town was quiet, dull and grey, but today when I looked through the window of the room I shared with Rea I could see that it was the exact opposite. The bright sun shined again the streets were lively, full of people that were excited for the showdown, there were countless booths everywhere, I could hear the sounds of music that the street players played, a lot of people were laughing and there was also the smell of food in the air. None of that bothered, maybe I was just a little annoyed because I didn't see what all the fuss about. Apparently the people here took the guild showdown a lot more seriously than I thought. 

Right now Rea and I were standing at the end of the long line of players that were going to compete this year. They were waiting to be called in the arena and announced and I was really happy that everyone that I knew was somewhere in the front, even if that also made me wonder if Rea and I were supposed to be the weakest ones, all the way at the end. The two guys that were standing in front of us and glaring at us with smirks on their faces did seem to think so and it look like they were starting to scare Rea that looked even more worried than me since this morning. 

'' What are you staring at? '' I asked, frowning with annoyance. 

The two guys shared a look, then one of them mockingly replied: '' Well, it seems like they chose the weakest pair to be the last here. ''  

My eye twitched in annoyance, then a smirk suddenly appeared on my face. '' So then it means that you're weak too? Second-last? I wouldn't be so proud of that if I were you, boy. ''  

His eyes widened, then he clenched his fists with anger. It looked like he already wanted to hit me, but his friend quickly stopped him, saying that it was against the rules. I showed both of them another closed eyed smile before they turned away from us again. That was when I looked at Rea, that was watching the whole thing with shock. '' See? There's nothing to be afraid of. ''  

She shyly nodded, even if it seemed like she was trying to convince more herself than me. I showed her another smile before I looked forward and became serious again. We waited for another half an hour before we heard the sound of the woman that was the announcer this time. She began with the usual introduction, saying that this was the third guild showdown and that there were exactly forty teams competing this year. Then after that she began introducing the people that were competing this year. 

My eyes slightly widened when I heard how the ones that were competing in the name of the Knights of the Kingdom guild were Rin and Mero. Then I sighed and facepalmed. '' Perfect. Why those two? '' I muttered to myself with sadness. 

Rea started blinking with fear. '' W-What's w-w-wr-wrong with them? ''  

I shook my head. '' Nothing, just that... Defeating them is going to be a real challenge. ''  

'' W-What do you mean? '' Rea asked with worry. 

I already wanted to reply when we suddenly heard the announcer's loud voice that was coming from the arena. '' And last but not least, the contestants Rea and Natsumi, representing Ravensteed! '' 

Rea instantly lowered her head and blushed when we began walking down the tunnel that leaded in the arena, but I quickly slapped her shoulder and grinned at her when she looked at me with confusion. '' You got so angry yesterday when that guy talked badly about Ravensteed so hold your head high now, be proud to be the one representing it! '' I held her hand and continued: '' And don't worry, I'm here too! ''