Chapter 29

'' Wow, '' I whispered, looking around with amazement. My blue eyes, wide with curiosity were scanning every feature of my surroundings. The reason I was so blown away was because the last time I was in level 25 was before Waru appeared in it, so I had no idea how it changed after that. I kept saying that it was a needless bother every time Riku told me that he wanted to see what happened, but maybe the truth was that I was just scared. I was scared of this place and I was scared of Waru.

Level 25 looked normal. That was the problem. It had a normal town, well, in ruins now, but it used to be normal, a forest and mountains surrounding it. The problem was that this whole place that kind of reminded me of my old neighbourhood was now completely deserted. You could see the signs of life and happiness that used to be here, players that were living their lives once. But then he came and it all disappeared. He had to destroy it all. But I still couldn't help it but to wonder... Why?

'' What? '' Sione asked, walking closer. '' Haven't you been here before? ''

'' I was, but not after his appearance, '' I thoughtfully replied. '' You were? ''

'' Yes, '' Karoku replied instead of Sione. I turned at him, standing a few meters away with his head lowered. '' On scouting missions. Looking for survivors. ''

My eyes widened with sadness, knowing that people that he cared about probably died because of Waru. Then I took a step at him, wanting to say something to console him, when Sione raised her arm in front of me, making me stop. When I looked at her with confusion her emotionless smile that was somehow comforting me this whole time disappeared from her face and her eyes were hard like iron. '' Karoku is a very complicated person, '' she quietly spoke up. '' You need to try to understand him before you approach him. ''

'' Why are you telling me this? '' I asked and frowned.

A slight smile reappeared on her face. '' Because I believe that you've already made a connection with Karoku. A bond. But that bond is going to get destroyed if you'll approach him the wrong way. You may not know it or see it, but he's very fragile. ''

I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes. '' I don't want to approach him. He's annoying. ''

Sione's smile even widened and that smile suddenly became really annoying, because she smiled like she knew something that I didn't. Then she turned around and looked at Karoku. '' You, listen. Both of you. What are we going to do today is search the town. Each of us will take a part of it and we'll all try to find clues. It's necessary because we have to act as careful as possible when it comes to Waru. That's why for now you'll only collect information and won't try to leave the town in any way. Do you understand? '' It was strange how she suddenly became serious and got surrounded by a deadly, scary aura when she gave orders.

I nodded. '' Clues. I got it. '' Then I pointed to the ruins of the town behind me. '' I'll take that part. Do we meet up here in a few hours again? ''

'' Yes, '' Sione replied.

I nodded again, then I turned around, ran to the edge of the roof and jumped. I landed on the ruins of the house that was next to it, jumped again and began running down the streets, carefully looking around with my special skill that was making everything around me green already activated. First I just ran down all of the streets, observing as much as I could. With the help of my special analysing skill I already got a map of this part of town. I quickly scanned it and found the building that seemed the most solid. I wanted to check that one out first and climbing in to ruins for later.

I walked in to what seemed like an ordinary house, looking around with a curious expression on my face. Then I noticed my surroundings and instantly froze on the spot. My eyes slowly widened with shock and fear flashed through my body, completely paralysing me. I was standing in the middle of what used to be an ordinary living room once. Now it was destroyed, with blood, splashed everywhere. There were holes in the ground, the walls and the roof and marks of what appeared to be claws. I felt how the panic inside me began to grow, then I quickly clenched my fingers in to fists and buried my nails in to my skin. The pain helped me to calm down a little and think more clearly.