Chapter 1

Jackie

"Are you lost?" I jumped, turning around I see a woman at the front desk looking at me like I'm an animal who just been let out. yeah, I'm dressed in a clown suit can't a girl make a living by making people smile.

 "No" I said looking around so this is the famous KP  "I'm looking for a person" I dig into my pocket and pulled out a slip "Kevin Powers," I said looking up. "I got a call today saying today is his birthday"  showing her why I was dressed up.

 "Mr. Powers hates clowns," she said popping her gum.

 "Well-"

 "There you are" I turned around to see a man dressed in a black suit and tie with huge balloons walking towards me "You're late," he said with a laugh "Hold that," he said handing me the balloons. I looked at him confused.

 "Wai--"

 "Thank you, Kim" he said to the front desk woman, taking my arm and pulling me to follow him.

 "I was the one who called you," he said as he pressed a button to the elevator.

 "I heard he doesn't like clowns," I said looking down at my huge shoes.

 "He doesn't," he said and started to laugh. I was about to ask him why he called me but the doors to the elevator opened.  Pushing me inside he pressed the button to the top floor.

 "Ok, when you get in there I want you to-" he stopped to take a good look at me, and smiled "To do what you do best, Oh and to bring this cake into his office" 

 "I'm still getting paid right?" I asked, what? making people laugh isn't cheap.

"I'll tell you what, if you can make him pee on himself I'll give you triple" my eyes popped, triple? was this dude for real?

"Ding" the doors open, stepping out with him he walked me to his office.

 "I'll be right back with the cake" he said walking away leaving me in front of his door.

 "No, I can't!" I heard someone yell.

 "Why the hell not!" I heard another person yell, maybe this is a bad time.

"You know why!" a man's voice yelled back.

 "Fuck the rule!" she yelled back, Oh snap.

"We have that rule for a reason, Janet" he said a little softer.

 "What about me, what about how I feel? you can't just do that and expect me to act like nothing happen. I have been with you since the beginning Kev, I know everything about you, and I sure know you felt something too" there was a long pause.

 "You're wrong, I don't feel anything-"

 "Kev--"

 "You think a one night stand with you, will make me fall" there was a laugh "Please, would you just listen yourself this is why I made this rule because girls like you never learn." 

 "I know you're still not over her" I heard her whisper. By now my ear is pressed up against the door, this conversation was getting good it's like watching a soap opera.

 "But damn it Kevin, it's been 6 years!" she started to yell "Fuck 6 long years!, and I'm tired" I heard the sound of broken glass "I quit!" she yelled.

 I didn't move my head fast enough, when she opened the door I fell into the office floor landing on my face.

 "What the hell" I heard the woman yelled. I felt her moved around me and left, leaving me still on the floor. I slowly got up hoping my makeup didn't leave a mess.

 I got up, slowly looking around the office. If I didn't know any better I would think this is more of an apartment than an office. He had a huge desk in the middle of his office, with a window behind him that looks over all of New York, a fireplace and a small kitchen. I heard the sound of glass and turn to see, who I'm guessing is Kevin Powers kneeling down at a broken picture frame.

 Yup, this kid needs to be cheered up. I took a deep breath "HHHHappy, happy birthday!" I started to sing Kevin jumped and looked at me with scared eyes. "May all your dreams come true" I started to dance, which was hard by the way with these balloons. 

 "What the-" he started to shake, oh snap.

I know I was going to get paid more if he wet his pants but this looked serious.

 "Happ-" I turn around to see the guy come back with the cake took you long enough. "Kevin!" he quickly hands me the cake and walks towards Kevin "Yo, are you ok?" he asked.  When doesn't Kevin answer Josh starts to shake Kevin in his arms  "Look, I'm sorry I didn't mean to get you this shaken up" he says.

 "Um...is he ok?" I asked feeling scared, suddenly Kevin starts to have a panic attack oh shit!.

 "Kevin!" he yelled shaking him.

 "Move," I say running towards him forgetting about the cake and balloons in my hand, I slip and fall causing the balloons to let go and the cake to fall on top of me. I didn't have to clean myself up, If this kid dies I will lose my job and there's no way in hell I am going to lose out on my triple payment. Taking Kevin in my arms I wipe off the cake from my face and take off my wig.

 "What the hell are you doing?" he asks.

 "Trying to save your friend, he's having a panic attack and his having a hard time breathing" before he could reply I cover my mouth with his and start to breathe.