Facing the inevitable

Keyuri's POV

It was 10 o clock in the morning and I was sitting inside a small yet an elegant cafe. It was Sunday and I was supposed to meet the guy chosen by my parents and 'know him' (their words not mine).

The spot was chosen by the guy himself who had communicated the address to my mum over the phone. If it would have been a date with Kevin, I would have loved this place. But..

My thoughts were broken by a sound of mild coughing. I looked up to see a handsome face, staring at me. "Am I right?" He asked

I stared at him blankly. I didn't hear anything as I was lost into my thought. I cleared my throat and managed to say in a small voice "can you please repeat the question? Sorry I didn't hear you"

Suhaas gave me a beautiful smile (showcasing his perfectly pearly white teeth) and repeated himself "I asked if you are Keyuri?"

He had such a positive aura around him that I couldn't help but smile back and nod. "Yes it's me. Please have a seat" I offered him to take the seat.

He smiled and looked into my eyes. Trust me if I would have not loved Kevin, there would have been 100% chance that I would have fallen for him. He had amazing looks and personality.

However this made me sad. Now how would I reject him? I needed an excuse to reject him in front of my parents. I know that sounded rude but my circumstances forced me to come up with this idea. I had planned that I would find out his flaw and use it as an excuse to reject him. But there he was. Almost perfect. He gave an order of 2 cups of cappuccino to waiter very politely. This proved he was a humble person. His good qualities made me sadder.

Perhaps he saw the hint of sadness on my face. A concerned look came on his face. However I had decided that if I couldn't reject him, then I would make him reject me. I would not give him any bhaav ( ie would not respond well to him) and eventually this would force him to reject me.

I started by not having any eye contact with him. I just gazed the table. However after hearing his next words, I got the shock of my life "Keyuri I am sorry but I can't marry you. Please reject me".

I suddenly couldn't believe my good luck. "Really?" I asked instinctively. (With a super happy astonished expression in my face).
He looked at me and chuckled.

" so looks like I am not the only person who doesn't want to get married" He said smiling at me. I nodded my head and smiled back. God I love this guy. It felt like there was still a teeny tiny faint ray of luck that I could marry my Kevin.

I looked at him for explanation. He smiled sheepishly and explained " Actually I am a GAY".

I was frozen for a second. Why the hell was he seeing girls when he is not interested in them? So I asked him this question.

" You see my parents cannot digest the fact that I am a gay. They thought that marrying me with a girl could solve the problem. But trust me. It would destroy 3 lives. The girl's, mine and my boyfriend's"

I was amused. " So you have a boyfriend too? Wow".

"Yeah. Actually I am planning to settle in U.S. My company is sending me there for few years on a project. I shall leave India within 4 months. Then I shall get settled there and ask my boyfriend to shift over there permanently."

I asked him the most obvious question "And what about your parents?"

"They will realise sooner or later that this is for my happiness. We are very rich people so financially they don't need to be dependent over me. In case they accept my boyfriend in future, we both shall either come to India or ask them to shift to New York" he said matter of factly.

I was very happy. Because now I didn't need to reject the guy. However what would I tell my parents? Suhas had perfect explanation.

" I shall call up your father and tell him that at present I am not ready for marriage and I need my time to think. I shall give the same excuse to my parents"

I was so grateful that this guy was ready to manage the things. Which meant I didn't need to lie to my parents.

We talked for an hour with him calling his boyfriend to come and meet me. I called up Kevin and four of us ( me, Kevin, Suhas and his boyfriend Nick) had full fledged fun conversation. We exchanged our phone numbers and promised each other that we would remain in touch.

While we were parting I was pulled aside by Suhas who whispered "Keyuri the guy is awesome. Don't let him go". I winked back to him and assured him "I won't"

Soon I accompanied Kevin to his home. I had to spend whole day with his mum. However the way event turned around in my favour, I was in high spirits.