First "I Love You"?

Kevin's POV

"I want a boy and a girl" she said. I grinned. Keyuri and I were on our midnight chat. It was a routine now where we both would study whole day and chat at night for an hour. It would help both of us to know each other well and disperse the frustrations of intense studies.

We both were learning a lot about each other. And technically we both wanted same things from our relationship. It was not some mere "time pass" or short term "no string attached" relationship. It was something solid.. something meant for long term. We both were so comfortable around each other that sometimes she would understand whatever was going inside my head just  by listening to the tone of my voice. And vice versa. Sometimes was it as if we were connected by something like telepathy.

Today she was telling me about her cute nephew and niece when I asked her if she liked kids. She loved kids. So I decided to tease her. " So madam, what do you want in future? A boy or a girl?".  She quickly replied that "I want a boy and a girl" and suddenly became silent. I could imagine her blushing. She must be thanking her stars as I couldn't see her. But I wanted to see her blush. Badly.

" Even I want a boy and a girl" I teased. "Maybe a cute little doll like you and an Einstein like me" I chuckled. She went silent. After sometime she spoke " Kevin I have to go. It's too late. Talk to you tomorrow".  It made me laugh.

" Keyuri we talked only for 20 minutes. The quota of our chat is not yet over. First tell me HOW and WHEN are we going to produce our kids? Should we try getting you pregnant during honeymoon?"  I chuckled.

Then I heard nothing. Maybe I should not have become so bold. She belonged to a conservative family. Talking with a guy at midnight without informing her parents was equivalent to having committed a crime.

I patiently waited for her to speak. Then I finally heard her saying " Let's talk tomorrow".

And then I felt my heart wrenching in pain. I didn't want to hurt her. I knew she was defying her family by talking with me secretly and having an relationship without their knowledge.

"I am sorry Keyuri. I didn't mean to hurt you in anyway. I like you a lot and I promise you that I would never ever leave you. You are not some other girl. You are very special. You are my angel and I love you"

And suddenly it hit me. It was the first time when had I unknowingly confessed  that I loved her. And it was unintentional and gave me a brief moment of realisation that it was actually a truth. I loved her. That's why I had  started imagining her in my future. Once I had imagined her walking into aisle and marrying me when I attended my cousin's wedding. Last night I even thought of a school where I would like to send my kids to study after I had seen an advertisement  of a school appearing in the newspaper.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard "I love you too Kevin". Those words were like sweet spring water to a desert wanderer. I smiled and wished her good night. But couldn't sleep until exhaustion kicked in.