Sweetest Gesture (1)

Kevin's POV

That day was the biggest of my life. Why? Because I had received my first salary. The moment the cheque was handed to me, I felt like I had won the world. I agree that I had received stipends earlier during my internship period. But there is always a difference between stipend and salary. I had received stipend as a part of my training. However salary was something that I had received due to my hardwork and talent.

And the best part was? Now I could buy a ring for Keyuri. You see, though I used to call her my fiance, I never gave her a ring. My parents wanted to buy a ring for her but I wanted to give it to her using my salary. So I asked them to wait.

I could simply propose her with the ring. I knew that she loved green colour so a platinum ring studded with emerald stone would be perfect. It would look simple and elegant. Just like her. Perfect, simple and elegant.

I decided to buy something for my parents and granny too. Though that used up atleast fifty percent of my salary, Yet I was able to buy the ring by paying in instalments. Jewellery shopkeepers allow that now a days. Nevertheless it was brought by my own salary and that was enough.

So I decided to surprise her with that beautiful ring. But the question was, how? Keyuri is a very frank and straightforward person. Too much of cheesy lines or drama would not be preferred by her. So I had to plan something simple and yet something touching. I was excited about giving her that surprise and the thought of seeing her happy, didn't allow me to sleep whole night.

I wanted to come up with something creative. Yet different. And the ideas can't be copied from movies or romance books.

And there was only one person in my house who was young by heart but had the maturity at the same time. Yes, it was time to approach my grandmum. Plus she had returned from my uncle's place.

I knew that if I would ask for her advise, she would definitely help me (she taught me how to flirt with girls during my school days. But the downside is that she would never forget to tease me about it later. In front of whole family. Maybe she would not hesitate teasing me in front of my kids too. But I was ready to sacrifice my dignity for Keyuri's happiness. )
Granny was sitting in front of TV, watching some daily opera.

"Hi.Granny. Can I ask you something?" I asked her. "Sure son. Is that related to Keyuri? ". I was surprised. How did she know that I wanted to talk about Keyuri? Seeing the expression of astonishment on my face, she chuckled " You are glowing and blushing at the same time son. Anyone can guess".

I tried to keep the straight face and asked her "I wanted to gift a ring to Keyuri. But how?". Granny blushed. I bet she was thinking about my late grandpa. They had a beautiful marriage. "Son let me tell you a secret. A girl loves it when she is proposed in the most touching way. So think about what she loves. And propose her accordingly." She winked and went ahead with her show.

Then the idea striked to me. Once Keyuri had mentioned how she wanted to be an astronomer during her childhood because she loved to watch the stars. So that was it!! She loved the stars! I gave her an address of a garden and insisted her to come there at midnight by hook or crook.