Ch 54 Full Moon Run

We had worked the crowd, repeating again and again how people could join her, or I should say, our, Wolfpack micro-nation. One council member asked me to meet with them later. I agreed of course, telling them I wasn't sure how long it would take me to meet with the wolves that were waiting. We finally made it back to our home.

Sister's mother was true to her word, telling Sister there was one more thing lined up for tonight. Sister started to tell her mother that she was too tired to do anything else.

I was a bit wore out myself, drinking my tea to help calm my nerves. For Sister to admit to being tired was unheard of. I was practically shocked, as were her parents. Her dad put a hand on his wife's shoulder, leaning close to whisper something to her before walking away.

I sat back, wondering if her mother would honor my request.

"Tammy, I know tonight has been a long and exciting time. I'm so proud of you! Your storytelling was fabulous and the shadow puppetry was amazing! I don't know how they managed to pull it off so perfectly! I'll admit, normally I would insist on you heading right to bed. I don't want you to miss tonight's special surprise because of me."

Her mother paused, struggling to hold back tears that came too easily for her. Sister glanced away from her mother to me for a second. I kept my poker face on, revealing nothing. She rolled her eyes at me before focusing once more on her mother.

"Brother asked me," her mother said, "and it is hard enough for me to let you go, but you deserve tonight, and maybe we both need to know what it feels like for me to let you go, even if I'm going to hold you tight when you get back and make your life miserable for the next week or two with over-mothering."

Her mother managed a slight chuckle through her tears, hugging her daughter tight.

"You sure it's ok? Really ok?"

"Yes, Tammy, I'm sure. I probably won't sleep all night, but I want you to go."

Her mother gave her a little shove my way when her father came back out carrying a small bag. I was impressed with her mother's honesty about how she felt.

Sister's eyes got big when she saw my bike. I held out the extra helmet, hastily painted white just for her. She didn't say a word as my dad helped her with it. I put her bag in my saddlebag. The other side was full of tea. By the time we were on the bike, Lone Wolf was pulling up next to me with Mac behind him. I rolled off slowly so she would have time to wave goodbye to her parents.

Her arms held me tight as I picked up speed. A few more bikes and atv's joined us as we went off-road, getting as close to Wolf's Pointe as we could with vehicles. There would come a point where the terrain was just too steep for any vehicle to travel it safely.

When we reached that point, there was already a large collection of bikes and atv's. We had already passed a few trucks that could go no further. Anna and Running Elk were waiting for us. There were wolves in the woods as well.

Mac was off before anyone, growling at Anna for being there. His diatribe stopped with one of her fingers touching his chest.

"Do not!" was all she said, giving it a minute before glancing at Sister.

"Yeah, but she's a damn wolf," he muttered.

Sister threw him a look, giggling at his cussing and his embarrassment.

"It's ok Mac, I am a damn wolf."

"Sister!"

She looked at me all innocent while Mac chuckled.