Ch 50 Sister

"Brother!"

I caught her in my arms, swinging her as high as I could. I wondered if she had even noticed the crowd. Her arms around my neck were practically in a death grip. I had to chuckle when she breathed deep, as if she was taking in my scent.

"You've been wolf recently," she whispered in my ear. "I can smell it."

"I have. These days I think I always am anymore."

She finally let me go.

"Don't ever do that to me again!" she suddenly yelled sternly, slapping my arm.

"I have no intention to Sister," I said laughing.

She came back in for a more normal hug. She leaned in close to whisper in my ear again.

"Why are all these people here?"

"To greet you into my tribe, so you can officially be my sister!"

She pulled back again, her eyes getting wide.

"Mom!" she yelled, running back to their car.

Volatile was the only word I could think of in that moment to describe Sister. Fast as quicksilver her attention shifted, yet she never lost her focus. Bemused I walked over, shaking her dad's hand, pulling her mother away from her to give her mother a hug. Then I put my arm around Sister, who looked up at me with eyes shining with the excitement she could barely contain.

I introduced the family to the council members who had gathered.

"Welcome," said the councilman who had scoffed at me in the meeting I had attended. "There will be a ceremony later, but we wanted to be on hand to greet you ourselves. As you can see, many of our people feel the same."

The people around let out some hollers of agreement and started applauding. Sister's mother stood there with tears in her eyes, leaning into her husband. Her dad was putting a good face on it but was looking confused and bewildered by all the attention.

I caught the desperate plea in his look and stepped forward to address the crowd.

"I want to thank you all for coming to greet my sister with me..."

More hollers were let out. I had to admit to being at a bit of a loss myself. Anna came to my rescue.

"We're going to let our soon-to-be newest members get settled. I hope you all will be at the open council meeting, then join us for tonight's festivities. We're truly grateful so many of you came out today. We'll see you this afternoon and this evening!"

Anna ushered them back into their car, motioning me in and getting in the back herself, with Sister scrunched between us. Anna gave her father directions.

Sister leaned against me, happy and content, but I could tell the excitement took its toll on her. I nodded to her mother when she turned around and started to say something. I was grateful she didn't fuss and turned back around.

Sister tugged on my arm slightly and when I looked down at her, she rolled her eyes toward her mother and gave me a wink. My nostrils flared in silent amusement and I gave the barest nod in agreement. Sister giggled.

Anna groaned. "Not another one," she said in exasperation.

"What do you mean another?" Sister asked, turning to her. Just as quickly she turned back to me. "Brother, what does she mean another? I thought you didn't have any other sisters!"