Ch 44 Wolves

I stepped away from the four-wheeler I was leaning on, letting my fingers trail along Dad's shoulder. I let out a big sigh, then smiled at the wolves that were almost circling.

"Thank-you all for coming." I looked out further to include all of the gathered wolves. "I appreciate it more than words can say."

One of the circling wolves, one I didn't know, raised up and shifted to man.

"Appreciate? This, rescue," he sneered at me, "meant letting humans know of our existence. Their deaths are on your head. Know this before you die for exposing us."

I gave a breathy laugh. I couldn't help it.

"Really? You think anyone here is going to die?" I looked at him more seriously. He looked to be in his early thirties, with sandy brown hair, and a decent, if not defined, build. I looked past him, focusing on the wolves he led. "I pity you, and I grieve for those you have needlessly killed."

One of the wolves with him gave me such a look, it broke my heart. I could tell someone he had loved had been killed by these wolves. I hoped they didn't make him do the deed himself.

I stood taller, got sterner, a touch of the wolf surfacing at the thought of who knew how many needless deaths. My hand twitched, as if reaching for the rock within my medicine bag. "Know that you will not kill innocents again."

There was a stare down between us. Just when he moved as if in preparation to attack, someone else I didn't know spoke up.

"They don't have to die. We can either hold them or change them," said an older wolf who had shifted to man. "We can split them between us." He paused. "I'll take the female," he added possessively. 

I didn't even have time to react to such nonsense. Anna, who was the only human female here, brought up a gun faster than any of the guys.

"That won't be happening," she said immediately, her sawed-off shotgun pointing without the slightest waver. I noticed old Michael was a close second with his gun, pointing it at the same wolf.

"Damn, I'm in love! That move was hot! Don't you think so bro? I mean the speed she brought that gun up, it was so damn hot as hell..."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I wasn't the only one who turned to stare at Mac.

"Mac, when I'm done with this asshole, I'm going to take care of you," Anna said without letting him distract her from the wolf who thought he could just claim her.

"I'll be here waiting, darling, cause that move blew me away! Where'd you learn to swing a gun like that? You and me gonna have to get together on a shooting range somewhere..."

"Mac, later if you don't mind?" I interrupted. "And somehow I don't think she meant the same thing you're thinking when she said she'd take care of you," I managed to get out with only a hint of a smile flashing across my otherwise straight face.

"I don't care man, whatever she wants to do, I'm down for it. I ain't never..."

Anna swung her shotgun toward Mac. "One more word!"

I was having a hard time keeping from busting a gut with laughter. God only knew what the wolves around us were thinking! I knew Anna wouldn't appreciate me laughing at her situation. I figured the stress of this situation was getting to her. I also knew I was going to have a blast ribbing Mac later.