Ch 21 Forest Fire

This chapter was inspired by the 2017 Smoky Mountain forest fire.
*******************

Derrick and I were heading from one kind of fire to another.

The party had ended well. The fire pit had been a huge success. There was enough firewood stacked behind the old shed to last all winter and half of the next summer.

Chani had taken a liking to Derrick, at least for the night. The two of them had spent some time kissing. With Dad acting as a chaperone, you can be sure nothing else happened.

Dad did swap out a few drinks from our younger guests, giving them a fresh can of coke. I grinned, thinking that no one could make a better guardian at a party. Wolf nose could smell the alcohol easily. Wolf hearing would know if anyone snuck off. It made me realize how easy Dad had been with me on occasion, saying nothing about a few of my teenage exploits.

I could bet Dad got little sleep that night, patrolling the tents. He gave his truck keys to  Running Elk when they headed out Monday morning.

Derrick and I were in a truck now. It was heading in the opposite direction, though. We had been called upon to help with a forest fire that broke out in the Smoky Mountains.

The fire was endangering residents. Our boss John sent our inexperienced selves to work as part of the labor force going door to door, looking for people left behind after the call to evacuate. 

A few other guys from our station were in the truck in front of us. The beds of both vehicles were full of supplies, including cases of bottled water. I had decided to put my motorcycle in the back of our truck, not knowing if we'd have to get more food or something.

We spent the first day there knocking on doors. I found a few people that might have gotten missed. I put my wolf nose and hearing to good use. For a little while, I helped an animal group with a van and cages rescue pets that had been left behind.

We were exhausted by the time daylight ended. We ended up parking the truck with a bunch of other neighboring firefighters. It was like everyone was your friend that you'd known for years. We shared our water. A few other people were sharing food. Derrick and I had brought enough food to last us for a few days just in case.

I set up my tent, preferring that to the crowded motel that was putting us up. Mine wasn't the only tent off to the side. Derrick decided to join me in my tent.

The second night there, I sat up suddenly in the middle of the night. I had a moment of disorientation as my dream of the fire-filled surroundings continued as a spirit-vision. A call for help echoed through the local night. It was a desperate, terrified howl, screaming for help. 

Please help me! I can't do this! We're gonna die!

My spirit-vision sped toward the frightened howling wolf. I only had the quickest glimpse of a young wolf superimposed with the image of a young boy in his early teens. The boy was holding a hurt companion. The young companion was the reason he was unable to escape the surrounding flames. He had no good direction to go. His burden, wrapped in a blanket, was heavy in his arms.

I saw the fire through wolf eyes. As my vision pulled away, I saw a clear path through the flames.

Derrick was grabbing my arm as I loaded up my gear. I had already pulled my bike from the truck. I put a finger to my lips, shushing anything he might say.

"There's need. Cover for me."

I left him standing in the parking lot, looking confused and like he wanted to yell at me.