Ch 34 Sister Wolf

Video is about a number of wild animals that had saved people.

*******************

Mahina commented on the small bag around my neck when we met that night. I stopped her hand when she went to lift it off my neck. I refused to take it off. I explained to her briefly what a medicine bag was, how it would stay with me even after death. It's purpose was to hold items of personal and sacred importance.

I had made the bag small and simple, almost stylish so it would not elicit comments if seen. The length of the cord was measured so it would fit around my neck when I was a wolf as well, hidden in my fur when I shifted.

The blood-covered stone was safely ensconced inside along with a few herbs from my special tea.

My new refrain echoed within me. I knew I could not save every innocent in the world. It was those at risk from the wolf that I would be drawn to. There was a new gleam in my eyes when I considered werewolves that would purposely cause harm to others.

It was a gleam I think Mahina saw, and it made her hesitate before she nodded her understanding. I smiled at her, taking her hand as I loved to do. Tonight was a simple night; I was in no mood for crowds. I shared a bit about the young girl with Mahina, how everyone had been talking about her at the end of the race.

"Do you think she actually saw a wolf?"

"Probably." I hid my smile. "Animals have been known to do odd things. I think sometimes someone's spirit guide helps them even if they don't know they have one."

At Mahina's look I did smile.

"I once heard of a boy who was lost in the woods during the winter and two elk lay down next to him all night keeping him warm," I told her. "He was found alive and well the next day, with the imprints from the elk on the ground verifying his story. There are many stories of wild animals saving people. There's no reason to doubt her story."

I had stood back and listened as the girl had excitedly repeated her story for what had to be the hundredth time. I was surprised at the huge impact I had made on her. She had been willing to tell anyone who would listen about the wolf who guided her out of the woods, then disappeared. The story she weaved was accurate in detail, but her interpretation of my side was fanciful.

When I went in Monday, John mentioned her as well, but not favorably.

"Damn kid is complaining because when she went off and caused a commotion she dropped her wolfy. All that shit and they expect us to be hunting for a stuffed animal!"

I was surprised at his venom. Beatrice threw him a dirty look. Before Bea could go off on him I spoke up.

"I'll keep an eye open while I'm out there. If I find it what do I do with it?"

John muttered something about an address before stomping off. I wondered what was bothering him. Bea slid me the note with the family's phone number and address on it. I smiled and winked at her. One way or another the little sister would get her toy wolf.

I talked with Mac about getting a flight to her city. He arranged a private small plane that would take me and bring me back the same night, as well as a bike I could borrow for when I arrived. Her parents agreed to keep my visit a secret.

Tuesday evening had me ringing her doorbell. Her mother opened the door. I put a finger to my lips before she could say anything. With a wink and a grin, I let out a whining howl.

I could hear the thumps from her room before she came flying out of the hall. The girl stopped, staring at me, her eyes wide. I brought the stuffed wolf out from behind my back, moving my fingers slightly to make his head move.