Ch 38 All of Me

"I am a werewolf. For real," I said at her exasperated look. "I honestly am. I'll show you, when you're ready."

"You should go out to the woods," said Anna nervously.

"You've never seen it, have you?" grinned Running Elk.

"I've seen the wolf," said Anna. "River Woman was a beautiful wolf."

"The transition is something to see. When he stood up that night! Did I ever mention how beautiful your mom was? I really was in awe. Just, uh, don't do the shoulder thing. It looked," he paused trying to find the right word, "weird."

"Wait, I thought you said you found out the night you got your spirit guide! When did you see River Woman?" asked Anna, suddenly full of suspicion.

"I saw her the anniversary of her death," Running Elk said softly. Anna's eyes went wide when she caught his meaning. I caught his eye, grinned at him.

"Best night ever!" we said again in unison.

Mahina didn't say anything. I think she half expected us to say we were pulling her leg.

I added fur to my hand, the same way I did for Sister. Her startled look was priceless.

"Dad worked hard with me, controlling my ability to change between man and wolf. He worked hard just training me. I love being what I am. You should have seen me in the fire. I carried that girl out on my back. I never would have made it either in or out without being what I am. When she looked at me, she saw Spirit Wolf. Spirit Wolf even gave her a message that I didn't know anything about," I said, grinning a little before getting serious again.

"You ready for more?"

"This is real. You really are?"

"I really am. I'm also still me, the same me you've gotten to know since I bumped your table at the coffee shop. I'm not the kind of werewolf that's in Sister's stories." I chuckled a bit. "The real thing, like I told Sister, is being a man, who can be a wolf. Or is it being a wolf who can be a man? I'm both, have been both. And before you ask, the moon is irrelevant!"

"Show me," Mahina said softly.

I took off my shirt and looked around the neighborhood. I partially shifted, adding fur and claws, my face taking on just a hint of the wolf. I didn't hold it long, just in case someone came around a corner.

Mahina had moved her hand along my furred arm. She looked fascinated and thoughtful. I wondered if it had really sunk in yet. Running Elk was grinning. I followed his line of sight to take in Anna, who had a fist in her mouth, her eyes huge. I think she was in shock. I leaned over and pulled her hand out of her mouth.

"You ok?"

"No. Grandfather said... it doesn't matter. I'm ok. I'll be ok. You're family Little Wolf. This doesn't change that. It's just..."

"It's all right," I said. "I know it takes a bit of getting used to."

"I'd like to see you as a full wolf," said Mahina.

"You already have," I said with a grin, "on the cover of each of my mother's books. And since Sister insisted you read them all, you already know everything about it, except that I can change physically. Remember what Sister said?"

Mahina stared at me a second, her eyes getting big before understanding took over and she laughed out loud a little. I had a big smile myself, especially since she seemed to be accepting everything pretty well. Sister had told Mahina that the children's stories were a good example of what a werewolf child should learn. Sister had insisted Mahina tell her what her favorite pictures of me as a wolf pup were. I think Sister had stayed up and read all of the children's books about me in one night!