Ch 41 Trapped

I woke with a stretch and a yawn. I could tell Derrick was awake. I made a shh and dropped back down. It was quiet outside our alcove. I stuck my nose out, then slid out. The men were gone. I kept my nose to the ground. All of them had gone back up to their area, taking the dead body with them.

I followed them, wolf on a blood trail that was easy to follow. I jumped up when I reached the small opening, staying still for a while, listening. I went further in, making it all the way to the fence. The gate was locked again. Most of the supplies had been moved out of this area. There was nothing here that would help us now except for any information I might pick up.

The men were sleeping. I sniffed carefully, my eyes finally taking in a bundled form along the far wall. I had a feeling it would be a while before they woke if they had been up half the night moving stuff around.

I headed back in, slipping into the alcove I had thrown the ammo in. It was a tight fit even for me as a wolf. I had to shift my arms to get the bag through then shift back to a wolf to slide through myself. I shifted back to man, running my hands along the edges to make sure I didn't leave any tufts of fur behind.

Retrieving the second bag of supplies, I headed back to Derrick. The only thing keeping me on two feet was the fact I had bags to carry. I growled a little as I slipped into our den.

"Derrick?" I kept my voice low, but more than a whisper. "They're gone from this area. You can use a light for a bit. I brought breakfast. Go ahead and eat something."

The light from his phone came on, bathing the area in light. He looked down at me. I stared back up at him thoughtfully before grinning.

"Like what you see? Hope not, man, because it's already claimed!"

"There are times you're an ass, you know that? Help me down, I gotta pee."

I shook my head. "No way. You're safer up there." I handed him up the bag of food. "We would make too much noise and it would take to long to get you back up there if they come back."

"Man, I gotta pee!"

"Put it back in one of the bottles. And use one of the bags if you need to dump. We can't afford for them to smell anything."

Derrick grumbled but did as I said.

A little while later Derrick asked, "So what happened?"

I sat in the crevasse of our doorway. My den! I tried to stay focused. This set of circumstances was bringing out the wolf in me.

"Tell me my secret."

"Just tell me what happened."

"One word. Say it."

There was silence for a bit. Our alcove was lit from the soft glow of his phone. He sighed.

"Werewolf." It came out softly.

I shifted right there. We had to get this settled while we had the time to do so. I looked up at him. He just took it in. His breathing increased a bit. His eyes dilated slightly. I grinned up at him, lifting up to shift back to a man.

"I don't have three bottles of vodka for you."

He chuckled. "I'm not Mac. Besides, I took another dip of the drugs. I'll probably convince myself I imagined it later."