Ch 26 Spirit Wolf

Everyone reacted at the same time. There were growls and bared teeth. Dad moved to one side, Cherokee to the other. Arctic and Lobo were also moving to take points to surround the odd couple.

The shy one had been too caught up in the joy of the group howl to realize what had happened. Old Grey merely sighed and moved to block the shy one so he couldn't leave the pointe in a panic without pushing the old wolf out of the way.

Businessman was actually the only one who shifted to human.

"What the hell are you doing that for?" he asked the young wolf in confusion. He looked around at the reaction from the others, at a loss for what to do.

I couldn't react at first. I knew Lone Wolf wasn't in any real danger. I finally stalked over to center myself in front of Lone Wolf and his companion. I rolled my shoulders, trying to decide whether to stand as man or stay wolf.

My intense gaze caused Lone Wolf to make a decision of his own. He moved. It took me a moment to figure out what was he was doing considering his wide throat was still being held.

I shifted to man so I could tell the others what I saw.

"Lone Wolf wants to speak. Might as well settle in. Took him almost an hour last time to shift. I'll hear what he has to say before doing anything else," I told the group of wolves. "I do, however," I said, directing my last comment to the young wolf who seemed stuck holding onto Lone Wolf, "strongly suggest you let go of him."

When he didn't, my gaze narrowed and I shifted from the chest, dropping suddenly to all fours.

"Now!" I roared, growling and advancing.

The young wolf let go, but didn't move off. He stayed crouched over Lone Wolf, baring teeth. I couldn't understand why the idiot was acting like he was willing to take us all on.

Wolves changing from thinking about attacking to stalking their prey didn't reduce tensions, merely changed them. There was lots of pacing going on.

Old Grey shifted, looking first at the shy one before looking back at me.

"We will wait," he said as if he spoke for the two of them. He shifted back to wolf and lay down to face the spectacle before him. It took a moment but the shy one finally laid down on the far side of Old Grey

I shifted back to furred man. I kept my eyes on Lone Wolf. Even as his huge wolf changed to bulky man, he stayed down on all fours. While it was still a lengthy process for him, it didn't seem as painful as the last time I watched him change. He made grunts and groans but no bitten back screams this time.

When he was closer, but not totally, human, he looked directly at me... and winked. Then, looking down, he bowed his head slightly. He raised his head. Looking intently at me again, he gave me a second wink.

Storyteller that I am, I understood what he was wanting. He wanted me to play up the Royal aspect to influence his companion. I tried to figure how to work that pitch without alienating the true wolves.

While Cherokee and I didn't share the same language, there was a few of his words I knew because of my love of stories. One phrase in particular was easy to remember and fit the situation at hand.

"Trickster fox," I said to Cherokee in his language, giving a nod toward Lone Wolf. He just gave me a look, then a slow nod.

"Black Wolf?" I figured my dad understood. Dad let out a humph. He said something in Russian to Arctic and Spanish to Lobo.