Ch 27 A True Pack

https://www.livingwithwolves.org/sawtooth-pack/sawtooth-pack-stories/

This is an easy to read and navigate site about real wolves by people who studied and documented them for years. In this section on the pack stories, you can read about how the different ranks of real wolves behave.

********************

"Think of your motorcycle," I told Lone Wolf. "When you drive you remember what you see and keep looking ahead. More to remember as a wolf, but same concept. No, keep your head up, focus in front of you."

Lone Wolf was trying. The true wolves and the shy one had gone off to see if there was any prey nearby. The rest stayed back with me, ranging in a large field, waiting for the true wolves to herd anything they might find our way. Old Grey was lounging around somewhere.

While real wolves would chase prey to weaken it for days if needed, I had a human life that didn't allow for a prolonged hunt right now. I had Mahina waiting for me. If they didn't find anything nearby they would just come back.

Real wolves also grew up learning how to work together. The businessman, Lone Wolf, and the young wolf Sheep had never hunted before.

I was still laughing over Sheep. He stayed away from me. He kept to the outskirts, away from any conversation where anyone would address him.

Old Grey had risen to man-form and called him Sheep once, I think just to test him. The young wolf had attacked the old one. Old Grey had quickly flowed back into wolf form at his approach and faced him with fangs bared. The old man had spent most of his life with wolves and quickly had the younger wolf submitting. I wondered if Sheep realized he was the omega in this pack of true wolves.

"Good," I called out to the businessman, watching him lope by. I focused on Lone Wolf.

"Keep your shoulders level with your rump. The body kinda stays in a horizontal line. Pick up your speed a little. A lope is similar to jogging as far as speed. Focus in front of you."

Better. I called them in before they wore themselves out. We gathered over by Old Grey.

"Sheep, get over here. You need to learn about hunting too."

Sheep came, a mix of anger and shame. He instinctively kept his head down as he crouched in closer, tail between his legs. He only came so close.

"Now, elk and deer aren't defenseless. Watch for hooves and antlers. A kick can break your jaw. If you get tossed by antlers, you might end up with busted ribs... or worse," I added sternly.

"Wolves work as a team," I continued. "If you can't do that," I said with a glance at Sheep, "stay back. While some of us harass and distract the prey from one side, the other side is open to attack.

"Ever wonder why dogs and wolves naw on bones, chew on them? You need to be sure of your own strength. As wolf, your jaws can break bones. Don't go for a quick snap on the front leg unless you plan on snapping hard enough to break bones.

"If you can get the right hold on a back leg, you cause drag. The more drag the better, which is why wolves mob a bigger animal. I even grabbed a tail once. You have to watch for a kick if your hold isn't good so watch out. A few others rush it from the side, taking advantage of the drag you cause, getting it down. If others aren't in position to rush it, don't risk a kick from hooves. It's precision teamwork."