Ch 33 5k Marathon

"Rick!"

My boss motioned me over. "I need you to set up for the 5k, then make sure the route is clear of any debris. I have a special guest I need to spend today and tomorrow with."

"Oh?" I asked casually. I couldn't help wondering what special guest was code for now that I knew John was part of Mac's network of connections.

"It's exciting," chimed in Beatrice, the lady who worked the counter. "She's a make-a-wish recipient; thirteen year old with cancer who wants to see real wolves. She and her family are staying in one of the cabins for a few nights."

"I'm going to be taking them out in the jeep," John added, "see how close we can get to the wolves wearing the trackers. Oh," he said quieter, moving me off to the side, "your training class is set up for two weeks from now."

He looked at me with this narrowing of the eyes. I don't know what he was thinking.

"Thanks, John."

"Mac told me about your, a, condition, said you had a few concerns. Honestly, it's probably just a bunch of campers throwing themselves a party," he said.

I agreed with him, trying to laugh it off, but I was a wolf on the hunt now where those annoying odors were concerned.

I headed out to load up one of the jeeps with what I'd need to set up the check stations. I was loading up the last canopy and chairs when I saw her.

She was wearing a white knit cap with pink in the front even though the day was getting warm. She was literally bouncing in place. I assumed it was her mother with her. The two of them got in the back of the jeep, the mother throwing a blanket over the girl. I had to chuckle at the young lady's unlady-like comments expressing her exasperation at her mother's concern.

I was heading home for the day when they came back. The young girl was obviously exhausted, a fact her mother was quick to point out.

"No, mother, I'm not going to sit out tomorrow! I came to see wolves and to run in a pack out in the wild. Tomorrow's race will be the only chance I'll have! A human pack is going to be as close to what I want as I can get!"

In that moment I felt Spirit Wolf stir. Here was a werewolf candidate if ever there was one. Her desire to be one with the wolf was palatable. I felt his love for the child before he faded away again.

I thought about her and others like her as I rode home. I could feel the wolf about her. I wondered how many others were out there who would truly desire to be one with the wolf.

From what I'd learned from the other wolves, there were some that were called naturals; people who, when bitten, took to the wolf as if they'd been born to it.

Old Grey had mentioned a few for whom life with the wolf was just the opposite. Some of the people who had left with him, escaping the madness of a werewolf war, kept seeking ways to end their life, unable to live with what they had become.

Businessman had spoken of the intensity of the pain of his first shift, lasting for days. He said his had lasted almost a week. He had barely survived and was both weak and ravenous at first. Eating during that pain-filled week had been difficult.

That young girl, her body riddled with cancer, would never survive such an ordeal.

Ah, my brother, I thought to Spirit Wolf, find a way to grant her what she desires.

I was back again early the next morning. The station I got to man was 2kilometers into the marathon. I had a walkie-talkie, first aid kit, and a cooler of electrolyte drinks. And plenty of boredom.