Ch 16 Dad's Visit

I called Dad. He was excited when I told him I'd met a wolf. I wondered how thrilled he'd be after I told him everything about the new wolf.

I gave him the mile marker to stop at and told him to sniff around, that he'd figure more out that way than I could describe with words. I didn't want to go into detail over the phone, preferring to describe my encounter when we were face-to-face.  I also told him about my date.

I didn't tell him about the fight club. I knew it would come up, though.

Work was still good. My sleep wasn't. I kept an ear open. Any noise had me up. I didn't know if Lone Wolf would come back and bring company.

I understood now why you didn't give out your home address. What if Lone Wolf told his alpha about me? What if the creep came and bit Derrick? I'd never forgive myself.

I set myself up some rules. If I ever met another werewolf, I wouldn't let them know where I lived. I'd keep them away from the reservation.

I lay in the dark while my thoughts ran rampant. Dad was due in early this morning before I left for work. I had the whole weekend with him. My stomach was knotted with stress. I had avoided the beer all week so that he wouldn't be able to smell it on me. I'd cleaned the house. Laundry was caught up, the bedding was fresh, and the kitchen had groceries.

My mind kept churning. I was still sickened by the thought of what Lone Wolf must have gone through to get him to the point of piddling on himself like that. I couldn't imagine maltreating someone to the extent they would get to that point. Dad had warned me. The possibility of bad guy werewolves existed.

Sleep eluded me. I slipped out the window. I wasn't in the mood for a run, so I just nosed around the neighborhood.

I heard Dad's truck before I saw it. I ran over to the road he was on and led him in. It was good to see him smiling. I ran back to my window, shifting even as I went through. I was out the front door as he was getting out of the truck. I laughed at the elk in the back of the truck.

"Stopped for a snack?"

"Shut up, Little Wolf, and help me get it in the house."

He grabbed the tarp while I went in and moved the kitchen table out of the way. I knew the routine. I helped him spread the tarp on the kitchen floor before we went out for the elk. I don't know how he got it to the truck by himself.

I pulled out my knife to help. We worked in silence. I thought about bringing up Lone Wolf but figured Dad didn't want to talk about him while Derrick was in the house.

Dad had brought freezer bags as well as the coating to age some roasts. I hoped Derrick didn't mind elk. We were going to be eating it for a while!

Derrick got as far as the kitchen door as Dad and I were rolling up the hide. The fridge was full of bigger cuts that Dad said he would slice down during the day.

"Oh, coffee," I said, standing up. "Let me put a pot on for you, Derrick."

"Um, I think I'll grab my coffee out this morning."

"Mind if I put a pot on for my dad? Dad, this is Derrick. Derrick, my dad."

Dad only nodded, walking to the sink to wash his hands.

"Mr. Wolcott."

"Call me Randall."

Derrick nodded but didn't say anything else, still trying to take in the kitchen. The tarp was folded over the pile of bones.