Ch 14 Just a Run

The werewolf's reactions stymied me. I tried to figure out how to get him alone. I came up blank. Mac came to my rescue.

"I gotta lock up. Don't go nowhere," Mac said as he headed back in to lock up the clinic.

I threw Derrick my keys, glad I had parked my motorcycle in the back. "You wanna bring it around?"

That gave me the briefest moment alone with the other wolf.

He spoke before I had a chance. He had dropped to his knees again with head bowed. The stink of fear rolled off him.

"Forgive me, Royal, for invading your territory."

"What the hell dude," I hissed. "Stand up already and stop that shit. This place belongs to Mac, and you should know that. All these guys are human. They don't know about us. We need to go somewhere and talk. When we do, you're going to explain your behavior. Meet me at the gas station by the interstate after we leave here. I gotta take Derrick home first, so I'll be a minute. I hope you'll be there when I get there."

Thankfully he got to his feet before Derrick came around the corner of the house. I hoped if the man were that scared of me, he'd be too frightened to stand me up. He didn't wait for Mac. He got on his bike and was taking off as Mac came out the front door.

That left me to deal with Mac.

Mac watched until the bike turned the corner. His arm muscles twitched as he turned to me. With narrowed eyes, Mac motioned me back in the house. I proceeded him in. He closed the door behind him. Mac didn't say anything this time, standing with his arms crossed against his chest, his back against the front door. I could smell his fury as he glared at me.

I gave Mac a wan smile, wishing I had an explanation that would satisfy him. "I noticed we had something in common, " I started. "I pointed it out to him. He reacted... weird. I can't explain him. I'm sorry if I put you in a position. It's the first time I've met someone else...with the thing we have in common."

Mac just kept looking at me, waiting for me to go on. I sighed. The one thing I couldn't tell him was the truth. But I could explain a few things, maybe.

"I think I know why he stopped fighting. It's the same reason I'm not willing to fight in that atmosphere. Someday I hope I can tell you. I'd like to, but just like your secret here, some things aren't mine to tell. If I ever get permission to tell you, I will. I'll understand if you don't want me around anymore."

Mac sighed then, running his hand through his short hair. He looked aggravated.

"He was in the military with me, " Mac finally said. "We've been friends ever since. He dropped off the face of the earth two years ago. When he did finally stop back by, he was nervous and distant, didn't stay long. He won't tell me anything. He knows I'd go to hell and back for him. I think he stays away until he can't stand being away anymore."

I could see the pain in Mac's eyes on behalf of his friend. He ran his hand through his hair again, trying to control his frustration. 

Another pause, while Mac thought about what I said, weighing his options. "I don't mind you being here," Mac finally decided. "You did good tonight overall. I gotta respect you not talking about whatever it is, probably the same reason he won't talk. If the time comes when you can, I'm the first person you come to. Deal?"

"Deal."  I had a feeling I was getting off easy.

Mac motioned me outside so he could lock up. "What's with the name Little Wolf?"

"That's my name back home. Doc said it was better not to use your real name around here."

"Yeah," Mac looked at me sideways as we headed toward Derrick and my bike, "but why did it freak him out?"