Ch 40 The Hunted and the Prey

Four paws glided across the rough stone surface. I kept my head down to minimize how much of the lighter colored fur I had on my neck would show. My side brushed against the stone wall while I backtracked, making note of the openings. It took no time going back. I was careful to sniff and listen before jumping back up the small drop to the area Derrick and I had woken up in.

The gate was open. I listened carefully before padding into the lighted areas, staying beneath the tables when I could. I saw guns laying around. That was not good. I thought of taking one, but decided against it.

I heard someone moving. I crept closer. There was a guy near the entrance of the cave, wandering around on occasion outside.

A wild thought came to me. I ran back in, keeping my senses alert for company. I grabbed another empty bag, a duffel this time that one of them had brought clothes in. I stuffed as many boxes of ammo as I could find, throwing in the guns as well.

I know I didn't get all of them, but I figured it was that much less they'd have to use against us. I traveled back along through the gate, half shifted, and threw the bag as far as I could in the second fissure along the corridor. It was one a person wouldn't fit through but a wolf could. The bag barely fit.

Going back to the entrance, I spotted the lookout. I shifted as fast as I could, grabbing a wrench that was laying nearby. Coming up behind him I whammed him a good one, catching him as he fell unconscious. There were two jeeps outside. One had my bike strapped to it. I unstrapped my bike, holding it so it wouldn't fall. I rolled it into some bushes hoping it wouldn't be seen.

I stood there for a moment, knowing I could escape. Glancing back at the cave entrance, I knew I couldn't leave Derrick behind. It would take too long to get help and return. Odds are Derrick would be dead and these men gone. I would never be able to prove that John was involved.

I wasn't sure I could get Derrick out before the lookout woke up, or the other men came back. I had nothing to tie the lookout up with, having already grabbed the zip ties they'd used on us to splint up Derrick's arm. Going back in for Derrick and bring him out past the three others with guns equaled a good chance of getting shot. If I went back for the zip ties though, and snuck up on these guys one at a time... my mind weighed the risks. I had to come up with another plan.

Going back in to the cave, I rifled through the small pile of tools they had until I found another screwdriver. I hurried back out, stabbing every tire on both jeeps, including the spares. I made a point to mark the cave entrance with my stream. If Dad came, he would smell it.

With any luck, John and his goonies would figure they had missed us, that Derrick and I snuck out, that we clobbered the lookout, trashed their stuff and left. It would keep them from hunting us in the caves and we could possibly make our way out the other end, or this end if they totally cleared out.

Our captors had a mini fridge next to their generator. I raided what there was of their food. I sacked up what would keep, along with some more water. Changing back to wolf, I ate the rest of the food on the spot. I left them nothing, wolf swallowing things down whole. I was looking for anything else useful when I heard my victim stir. I saw one other thing I wanted to grab. I shifted enough to twist my arm above the table and grab the walkie-talkie.

I was at risk right now of being seen. I shrunk into the shadows under the table. I heard static from the walkie-talkie and quickly turned it off for now.

The guy I hit took one look at the open fridge and missing ammo and ran toward the back yelling his fool head off. I followed him back, stuffing the bag of food and water into a smaller niche higher up. I slid myself into an obvious small dead-end they wouldn't bother with, one too small for a human body to fit through. My black fur was serving me well. I made sure my back was to them when I heard them approach. I didn't want light reflecting from my eyes.