Ch 49 Anna

There was quite a crowd at The General Store. I was surprised and gratified that so many tribe-members came up to me expressing their support and acceptance of Sister.

Many of the newer council members also came up to me, telling me of how they approved of accepting Sister into the tribe as an honorary member. It was nice to have it official.

I made my way around the people of the tribe, many of whom I didn't even know. Some had come from far away. I didn't understand why they were here, but Sister would love it. I could not deny my connection to these people any more than I could deny my connection to my wolves.

Anna pulled me away from the well-wishers saying that once Sister arrived, she wouldn't have a chance. She made a general apology to the crowd before pulling me in the store, locking the door to guarantee our privacy. She continued to pull me until we were in the back storeroom.

"Anna, if this is about Mac, don't feel obligated to date him just because he and I are friends," I started.

"Sometimes you are so self-centered! I want to talk to you about Grandfather!"

"I didn't know there was anything to say."

She looked uncomfortable and the silence drew out. I began looking through stuff for something Sister's mother would like.

"There isn't anything to say about him, in a way. I want to explain to you what I've done," Anna said hesitantly.

"Everyone seems quite happy to see me still alive, so..."

"Just shut up!" she choked out.

I went over and took her hands. I didn't understand why she was suddenly crying.

"I'm listening," I said gently.

"It starts with Grandfather. Shut up!" she said fiercely when I started to open my mouth.

"When I first started babysitting you, Grandfather took me aside and told me your father had passed on a genetic abnormality to you."

Anna scowled at my grin.

"A mental abnormality."

A mental abnormality. I held myself still. I reminded myself that Anna wanted to tell me what she had done, not what Grandfather had done.

"He passed you off as something of a simpleton, he said that's why you were home schooled for awhile. It's a lie that no one believed especially when you graduated early. You're playful, or at least... Grandfather passed off your playfulness about your name, your wolffish ways, as a mental illness where people actually believe they are wolves. Seriously!" she exclaimed at my derisive snort. "You can look it up! It's called clinical lycanthropy."

I considered what she told me. It did explain certain people's reaction to me, like Chani's. Her determination to squelch the wolf in me got aggravating over time. As for most people...

"Anna, if people believed that about me, and still called me friend, still liked me for me, then it doesn't matter what Grandfather said."

"Little Wolf, people pitied you, they were only kind to you because of the lies..."

I stopped her, shaking my head. "Maybe a few, like Auntie, who also cared for me in my own right, despite her wanting the wolf to end with me. I can tell!"

"Little Wolf you don't understand!"

"No, I do. Listen!" I jerked her hands a little. "Stop, now! I can smell people's emotions. I always knew there was something else going on with Chani, for example, I just never knew what it was. I can tell about people. I can smell their emotions. I know when people were only tolerating me! How did that councilman put it, when they good naturedly put up with me playing around being wolf, taking it too far?" I stressed before continuing.