Ch 36 Council Meeting, pt2

"You are dismissed, Little Wolf," Grandfather commanded, raising his voice slightly.

"Dismissed?" I growled. "Why? Because of this wolf thing?"
~ ~ ~

I was close to being wolf. I focused on the claw tips digging into the palm of my hand. It was more than a glare I was sending Grandfather's way. There was a sudden fury lit inside me. How could the council dismiss anything I had to say about the wolf?

Grandfather stared staunchly, unflinchingly, back at me. He waited for me to leave. I didn't move.

"There is a young girl I have called sister..."

"You call all of the children little brother or sister," someone said derisively. "This is ridiculous and a waste of our time."

Grandfather's hand came up and silence fell. I looked among the council members. Only Grandfather, Auntie, and three others looked back sternly at me, truly looking at me. They were united in their desire for me to be silent and leave. The others... my brow furrowed.

"The other members don't know, do they?" I asked as I met the eyes of those who knew. I could tell those who knew what I was by the looks on their faces, as well as the confusion on the faces of those who were clueless about it.

"We will speak later, Little Wolf, " my grandfather reiterated.

I shook my head at Grandfather's obstinance.

"There are things you need to know."

"There is nothing of such urgency it needs to be spoken of now. We can speak later," Grandfather replied, narrowing his eyes. He was not accustomed to me defying him.

"Accepting the girl officially as an honorary tribal member is something only the council can approve of," I replied, trying to keep myself sounding reasonable and calm.

"The council will discuss it later," Grandfather said, raising his formal pipe in another attempt to end the discussion.

"You need to know what has happened. The wolf..."

"Enough!"

"It's important, Grandfather."

"It's a family matter, Little Wolf, not a matter for the council."

"You always told me it was a council matter. Why don't they know? I can do what Dad did if you want. I..."

"No Little Wolf. You will leave now."

"If I cannot be who I am before the council... All my life I thought they all knew." My look at my grandfather held all of my confusion. He looked blandly back at me.

"The full council has not discussed the matter since your father first stood before us asking for your mother's hand in marriage. Council members have changed since then."

I stood there, trying to wrap my head around what I was hearing.

"Then perhaps it is time for the council to..."

"I will not say it again Little Wolf. You will leave now. We will speak later." Grandfather's voice held a hint of anger this time. It could not compare with my own.