5 - 4

Year 5
The Order of the Phoenix

Why don't we chuck you into the forbidden forest, see how long you last?"

~~~

The Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom was in full spirits this morning, people were happily chatting, while a delecate paper bird was being flown with magic above the students heads. Everyone except Y/n was happy of course. With Umbridge holding a grudge against her family she wasn't looking forward to this lesson at all.

Everyone seemed so engrosed in the bird they didn't realise that Umbridge had entered the room. With a flick of her wamd she set the paper on fire, making it land on Y/n and Draco's desk.

"Good morning, children." She smiled innocently, and began to use her wand to write on the chalk bored at the front of the room, "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-L's, more commonly known as owls. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe"

Everyone watched the woman as she stood in front of them, looking innocent in pink. But Y/n could see that she wasn't as pleasant as she looked. Without turning her back to the class she flicked her wand again, making the stack of books behind her give themselves out.

Y/n scanned the cover, frowning at what she had given them to study from. 'Dark Arts Defence, Basics for Beginners'.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

Y/n scanned through the book, there was no information about defencive spells.

"So what about the spells we're going to be studying?" Y/n questioned, not putting her hand out.

"Miss Moonshine, i knew you wouldn't be able to keep your mouth shut in my lesson, but if you really must know, i can't imagine why you would need spells in my class room." She said bitterly to Y/n who was frowning and looking the woman up and down.

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron chipped in.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." She said cheerfully, but no one else was cheerful about that.

"But what's the use in that? If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry shouted out, questioning her even more.

"Students will raise their hands if they speak in my class." She ignored Harry's question, "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all is what school is all about."

"And how's theory going to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry argues back.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" She asks.

"Why don't we chuck you into the forbidden forest, see how long you last?" Y/n argues again, "Besides, who would have wanted to kill Cedric? He was a child, like us."

"Exactly, Lord Voldemort." Harry backs up Y/n's answer.

Everyone went silent, they could see Umbridge trying to supress her anger and not loose her temper with these students, but she was finding it very hard.

"Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." She said calmly to the class.

"It's not a lie!" Harry urged,

"Harry has seen him, he fought him." Y/n backed him up.

"Detention Miss Moonshine." She said furiously, storming back to the front.

"So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead on his own accord?" Harry was mirroring her furry.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident!" She fought back.

"It was murder!" Harry Insisted.

"Voldemort Killed him!" Y/n wasn't going to back down.

"Enough!" She screached, "See me later, Mr Potter and Miss Moonshine. My office."

---

Y/n walked beside Harry, they were on their way to Proffesor Umbridges office to serve their detention. Both were feeling pretty uneasy about this woman and didn't even speak to each other.

They shared a glance before walking up the stairs to her office door and knocking on it. She called them in calmly, and they both entered.

"Good evening Children," She flashed a sickly smile, "Sit."

They did so, on a little desk next to each other.

"You're going to be doing some lines for me today," She smiled, and Y/n almost gagged as she reached into her bag for her quill, "No, not with your quill. You're going to be using a rather special one of mine."

Both Harry and Y/n shared the same confused look. As she handed them both a quill with a brown feather on.

"Now i want you to write, 'I must not tell lies." She smiled.

"How many times?" Harry asked, through gritten teeth.

"Well, let's say for as long as it takes for the message to sink in." She replies.

"You haven't given us any ink." Y/n says, not caring if she sounds rude.

"Oh you won't need any ink." She says cooly.

Y/n sighs and begins to write on the peice of parchment in front of her. The more lines she completes the weirder her hand felt. She began to get uncomfortable, a cramp like pain shoot through her hand.

She chose to ignore it and carried on writing. But the cramp soon turned into a scratching pain, and suddenly into a burning sensation.

She dropped the quill to apply pressure to her hand, and began to rub it. She watched as the words 'I must not tell lies' was buring into her skin. She watched Harry monitoring his hand too.

"Yes?" Umbridge replies to their groans of pain.

"You know exactly what's happening." Y/n replied bitterly.

"Nothing." Harry replied at the exact same time, making Y/n shoot him a look of shock.

"That's right, because you know, deep down, you deserve to be punished, don't you children?" She ignored Y/n's comment, and only replied to Harry's.

"Wait until my father hears about this." Y/n warned, standing up.

"Oh Miss Moonshine, your father has no proof of what is happening today. By the time you next return home, the scars should be faded." She giggled her irriating high pitched squeak, "You two can go."

"You're twisted." Y/n spat as she exited the room with Harry behind her.

It seemed as though Harry had been more scarred by this experience than Y/n.