Hidden Rose

In the beautiful gardens of Reach, the most abundant flowers known to the mankind blossoms, but none are compared to the beauty of the real 'roses' of the South. The heirs of Mace Tyrell run around the garden and their harmonious laughters echoes through the halls with chirping of the birds. A young boy with his little sister tenderly touch the petals of rose and admires the beauty of it, but not far away from them the youngest one curiously gazes at the fresh wound of hers.

"Why did you pluck the poor rose, Laena?" Older of the sisters, Margaery asked with disfavor hidden in her sweet voice when she witnessed the dying rose beside her sister.

"It has thorns." The little girl said more to herself than answering the other girl. Two of the three siblings found the younger one quite strange to their favors and decided to leave the little girl, who is gazing at the blood stained thorn of the rose curiously, instead of mending her wound.

From the veranda of Highgarden, the proud castle of House Tyrell, their grandmother Olenna watched them attentively, studying each of her descendants. What caught the Queen of the Thorn's attention was the stubborn action of Laena when she plucked another rose. She sure was a strange kid, different than others but that was the reason Olenna loved the youngest of her family most.

Three roses of House Tyrell, all dashingly beautiful like the sigil of their House; growing in the garden of Reach.

The heir of Highgarden, Loras the older brother of two, has the ocean blue eyes of her mother, Alerie Hightower as well as his sister, Margaery. The curios one, Laena has the golden eyes of true Tyrells. Aside from that, all have brown locks of their ancestors and beauty of their mother. Lords of the seven kingdoms know their father, Lord Mace Tyrell is neither the wisest nor the most handsome man of Westeros. However, the man is a loving husband and father and has a great respect for his mother. Thus, some would say true warden of the South is Olenna, mother of Mace.

As the years go by, Loras grew up to be a young man who enjoys battles, swords and explicitly, company of men. Everyone knew him as his title "Knight of the Flowers." Not only he was exceptionally good at combat, he became a fine rose that is admired by many. However, not as much as his sister, Margaery. Men of Westeros say she is the most eligible woman alive in our kingdom. Her beauty surpasses Cersei Lannister, the queen. However, she is said to be as beautiful as she is clever and like many other praised women, she has high ambitions and dreams. Hers was to be the queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Afterall, she is raised by finest of all ladies, one and only Olenna Tyrell along with her sister, Laena.

The youngest one became the mix of her siblings: a beauty with a sword. Though, she never had the ambition of her sister nor her brother's interest towards men. She was the quiet one, hidden rose of Tyrell. Olenna, her grandmother treasured her to the point where lowborns believe that Mace Tyrell has only two heirs. Those beliefs are strengthened by the closeness of Margaery and Loras. The youngest one always preferred to sit in the garden, reading alone or sparring with Ludwig Selmy, her trusted friend, instead of bonding with her siblings or flaunting her beauty to the world. That is why she is a rose hidden in the garden, the Princess of the Thorns.
Either way, Tyrell children were 'growing strong.'

~

"We will leave to Stormlands tomorrow at first light." the father, Mace announced during the family dining.

Loras and Margaery, both were ecstatic to hear the words while Laena had no judgement on the matter. For Loras it means he could be at his lover, Renly Baratheon's side again after he supported his claim to the iron throne and crowned him king in Highgarden, while for Margaery it means she will be soon crowned to be a queen to Renly. Similar to Laena, Olenna Tyrell was neutral to the matter. She knew the reason behind Mace, her only son's eagerness to support Renly Baratheon, so-called king of the Seven Kingdoms.

During the Robert's Rebellion, Tyrell was the only house who stayed loyal to House Targaryen but submitted to Robert after prince Rhaegar and the mad king died. In return, Tyrells have treated leniently, pardoned, and allowed to continue ruling the Reach as his family had before the war. However, now after the death of Robert Baratheon, Mace hopes to make a good match for Margaery, oldest of his daughters to increase the already considerable power and influence of his family.

It is an expected ambition from the head of a House but what troubled Olenna was the choice her son made. Even Laena wasn't sure whether Renly Baratheon is in fact the rightful heir to the Iron Throne he claims to be. But this time, they both decided to keep their doubts to themselves. Partially, because of Mace but mostly because of the two siblings who both want this union more than anything.

When the dawn breaks, Tyrell bannermen took their respective places in front of the Tyrell army beside Mace and Loras, who are both in their silver armor with rose, their house's sigil engraved on it. At the gate of Highgarden, Tyrell women were exchanging the words of farewells since the older girl of Roses is off to marry a stag.

"You are not just a rose, my sweet child. You are a golden rose of the Reach. Always remember that. Unbending, undying golden rose." The Queen of Thorns said. Both of her granddaughters knew she disfavors their house sigil and if she had the chance to change it, she would've definitely choose a fearsome beast. However, no one has a power to change a rose into a dragon. Thus, rose is a rose. All of them knew that. For Laena, she prefers to be a thorn instead of a rose that symbolizes beauty.

"I wish you to achieve what you want, sister. Be safe." Laena Tyrell said to her sister while their mother silently wipes the tears she failed to keep. Alerie Hightower, never had the chance to raise her children as she wanted. Her mother by law, Olenna had all the authority in the Reach, including the rights to raise her children. Even though she loves her children to the death, none of them were close to understand it.

~~~

After the Tyrell army started their journey to the Stormlands, as usual Olenna Tyrell was left in charge of South of the Seven Kingdoms alongside with the youngest heir of Tyrells, her treasured Laena. Olenna knew the Westeros is not a desired place to be and even though she failed to keep her other grandchildren, she still wants to keep her silent flower by her side, away from all the cruelty and unfairness of game of thrones.

As an acting lady of House Tyrell, Laena had many responsibilities but she still finds a time to stroll through the garden, enjoying the company of other flowers. However, one day when she was admiring the mesmerizing sight of Highgarden, she found one particular 'flower' she liked. The heiress of Tyrell approached the girl who stole her attention.

"My lady." The mysterious girl bowed down.
Laena found the girl more appealing up close.
"To what do I owe this pleasure to find a fine flower like you in my private garden ?" Naturally charming Tyrell girl asked the maiden.

In Highgarden, home of Tyrells the young heirs of the House were free to do whatever they pleased. Afterall it is their home and it should provide freedom and safety to them. But outside of the marble white wall of Highgarden, both Loras and Laena knew they shall keep their love interests hidden as there are enemies who will gladly use their secret against them. However, some people of Reach were aware of their young lord and lady's peculiar likings and even try their luck to seduce the roses. Laena knew the girl was one of them. However, she wondered whether the girl is aiming a night with her or her heart. If it is the first one, she could give it gladly to the young maiden but if its the latter one, she must not pluck the flower.

Laena believes love is something cannot be forced, when the time comes it will eventually find her and put her into its unmerciful spell. She is certain that person is out there in Seven Kingdoms or perhaps across the Narrow Sea.