Epilouge (Karter/Luke)

Seth's P.O.V

     It's funny how fast time goes by once you have kids. It's like you blink and there went their childhood and blink again and their suddenly getting jobs and raising their own families.

     I'm glad to say that I had the most amazing kids in the history of kids. Although sweat, marker drawings, growth charts, home made magnets, and an empty house is all we have to show for it.

     But, that's what parents do. We raise our kids to our best abilities and then send them off into the world.

     At least we accomplished that.

     Sitting in the grave yard on the bench closest to my 17 year old son I couldn't stop the tears as I sang.

     "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Karter," I had to stop to take a breath before continuing, "happy birthday... to you."
The ending is always the hardest part as I sang to the headstone.

     He will always be 17 to me.

   -----

            Eli's P.O.V

     I watched in pain as Seth sat on the grass and sang to Karter and broke down crying. Although he died a six years ago Seth still comes almost everyday. It's his 21st birthday. But, Seth grasps the stone that has forever made our son a 17 years old.

     Shutting the car door I made my way over to the weeping man and kneeled beside him bringing him to my chest. We sat there rocking for quite awhile. We were in complete silence until a familiar Jeep pulled up behind our car.

     Seth's tears began all over again as he watched Karter's now 20 year old boyfriend, Luke, slip out and make his way over.

     Luke was no longer battling, as he had won. His once red wig was now replaced with real, thick, red curly locks. His once fragile body transformed into almost all muscle and his battle scars covered with black tattoos.

     Joining us on the ground Luke set a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the ground. Kissing his fingers and placing them on the cold stone I saw his eyes water.

     "I miss him," Luke suddenly whispering loud enough for us to hear, "I don't go a day without seeing how pale and sick he was. Remembering how loving and goofy he was even on his hardest days. He will always be my first love."

     Finishing his speech and wiping away his tears Luke leaned forward pressing his forehead on the stone, "okay?" He whispered and then drew back and raised to his feet.

            Luke's P.O.V

     Cancer sucks.

     Especially when your first love comes down with it and dies a year later.

     Karter was strong, but the cancer ate at his body faster than he could fight back. Anyone who has ever said that my boyfriend was happy all of the time didn't see him when we were alone.

     Didn't see the pain and agony I saw. Didn't see sleepless nights. Didn't see vomiting after treatment. Didn't see the smiles to cover the aches and jokes to cover the wincing.

     Nobody saw Karter like I did.

    Raw. Hurting.

     Losing the battle that I had won two months prior. Nobody said cancer was easy, or painless. It's quite the opposite.

     It's ugly and ruthless. It's takes over your body faster than you can blink if you can't fight back. Eats and eats at you until one day you stop fighting.

      There's only two ways you stop fighting:
            Win or die trying