Chapter 35||5 Years Later

My Sweet, Sweet Mates (bxbxb)
    Chapter 35 - 5 Years Later
Elle-The-Ellephant

          5 YEARS LATER

            Seth's P.O.V

     Heavy breathing and sharp kick to the thigh jolted me from my slumber. Opening my eyes I was surprised to see my bedroom still cloaked in darkness. Another kick came to my thigh making me look down at the attacker.

     Zoë.

     The three year old has yet to conquer her fear of the dark and slips into bed with us every night. The only weird part is, she sleeps with her head at the end of the bed. She says she likes to watch Karter, her two month old brother sleep.

     The little blonde girl was only a year old when we adopted her. Her hair just as blonde and curly as her alcoholic mother's. Her eyes were a deep blue that held emotions some adults couldn't understand. She was more empathetic and understanding than any other person on this planet.

     Karter came from a different family. Taken away at birth with meth withdrawals and seizures. Hooked up to an oxygen mask while he sleeps. Constantly having to poke our son with needles to fight withdrawals and violent attacks.

     Our kids weren't perfect. But, we love them for who they are and all the love they had brought.

     Smiling I sat up pulling the blonde little girl into my lap, resting her head on my chest. Stirring she looked up at me her eyes droopy.

     "Daddy, I'm hungry," she whined grabbing her growling stomach. Nodding I shimmed my way down the bed until I could place my feet on the ceramic tile. Opening and closing the door as quiet as I could, I snuck down the stairs with Zoë resting on my side.

     "You can't tell Dada or Papa about this," I whispered setting her down on the counter and tiptoeing over to the freezer.

     She giggled covering the noise with her tiny hand, "pinky promise!" As she held out her little pinky finger I nodded and reached in grabbing the half-gallon of chocolate frozen yogurt.

     --------

            Eli's P.O.V

     I laid with my eyes closed as I heard Seth trying to sneak downstairs with Zoë for their mid-night snack. As soon as the door shut and their foot steps disappeared downstairs Karter's cry filled the room.

     Groaning, I threw the cover off myself and jumped out of bed. Flicking on my table lamp I peered over the crib to see the small boy shaking, struggling to breath. Leaning over I scooped up the boy and held him against my chest. Sitting on the floor I turned up his oxygen tank and smacked Shawn's foot.

     With a groan he too threw himself from bed to grab me his medication.

     It killed me every time I had to stab this little angel with a needle. It killed me to hear his wails and groans knowing he was in pain. More importantly, it killed me that all I could do was hold him while he calmed down. I wanted to take this pain away from such a sweet creature. I would rather live in constant pain then hear him cry every night.

     I didn't know I was crying until Shawn was rubbing my back, trying to soothe us both.

     "Did you do it?" I asked not looking up from Karter.

    He sighed before whispering, "yeah." I know he felt it too. All of us did. Every time he cried or screamed we all felt his pain.

     Soon but seemingly not soon enough Karter was calm. His body had stopped shaking and his breathing normal again. Looking up at me with his light chocolate eyes he smiled. His tiny hand reached up, resting on my chest just below my collarbones.

     Smiling back at the beauty in my arms I felt my eyes tear up.

     "I love you more than you know," I whispered to the boy kissing his forehead lightly making him burble with baby noises.

     -----

     I don't know how long I sat on the floor staring down at Karter asleep on my chest. Long enough for the dark to turn to broad daylight.

     "You're still up?" I heard Seth ask from behind me kissing the top of my head. Nodding I smiled down at Karter as he opened his eyes once more and tried to remove the mask from his nose and mouth that helped him breathe.

     Before I could, Seth had reached his arm over my shoulder and clicked the tank off that sounded like a dragon and helped the boy remove the mask.

    Once again he started to burble in his own language and smile with his gums on display.

     Karter was a happy baby, as long as he wasn't in pain. He slept all night, ate when he was hungry, and was smiling and talking all day.

     --------

             Shawn's P.O.V

     Sitting in a hard, plastic chair I couldn't help that my knee bounced up and down. I was getting crazy stares as people passed by, probably thinking I was on drugs.

     When the doctor stepped out I shot out of my chair greeting her.

     "Good news," she smiled looking down at her clipboard, "Karter's withdrawals are tremendously better. We can lower his dosage."

     Letting out a sigh of relief I rubbed my face.

     Although I also heard the doctor sigh making me look up, "Mr. Ortiz, your son's heart condition has worsened. I give him a four to six year lifespan."

Hearing that my knees gave out. I was a grown man bawling in a heap on the floor of a hospital.

My son. Karter, my only son was suspected to live until he was six.

"No! No! No!" I couldn't stop the broken screams that escaped me. I couldn't lose him so early.

"No! You're wrong, you have to be wrong," I screamed, my tears soaking the front of my shirt, "we need more time!"

"I'm sorry," she said before turning and walking back towards where she came from leaving me on the ground. I could see the pain and empathy in her eyes.

But I didn't need sympathy, I needed my son.