Chapter 36|| 15 Years Later

My Sweet, Sweet Mates (bxbxb)
     Chapter 36|| 15 Years Later
     Elle-The-Elephant

Shawn's P.O.V

"Karter, breakfast!" I hollered hoping the fifteen year old could hear me over his video game. Soon after I heard his loud footsteps coming down the stairs followed by the loud humming and then the squealing of the wheels on his oxygen tank.

Although he is fifteen his heart and lung problems haven't seem to let up, but he definitely is living longer than six years!

"Daddy, stop! I'm eighteen I don't need a hug every morning!" Zoë squelled, pushing Seth away. Chuckling at the two I set Karter's bowl of blueberry oatmeal on the table, followed by his usual cup of non-gluten milk and his daily pills.

Sitting down next to him Zoë smiled ruffling her brother's hair.

"Morning, K," she smiled making Karter smile in return and nod to his sister as he finished swallowing his pills.

Suddenly loud footsteps rang through the house again followed by profuse cussing...Eli.

"Fuck, shit, damn it, fuck!" He yelled running into the kitchen trying to zip up his pants and tie his tie all at once.

Catching him by the waist as he ran by I pulled him into my chest. Leaning down I pressed my lips against his warm neck making him groan.

Kissing his neck once more I whispered, "slow." He turned around locking his lips with mine before taking off again in a frantic hurry.

-------

Seth's P.O.V

I watched as Karter listens to Zoë jabber on about her college classes. After her long talk Karter would tell her about doctor's appointments, new friends, and his amazing teacher.

It was Karter's choice for him to become homeschooled when a kid who didn't understand what the tank was for. Therefore ending up in an unplugged oxygen tank and Karter fainting for lack of said oxygen.

Now I personally take classes online and at the local college to help educate my child. He is smart, loves reading and writing and always has great school lunches.

Every morning is hectic though. Eli is always late for his job at a retail company - selling houses. Shawn own his own music label - representing some of the most well-known rappers and pop artists.

They work so we can afford for me to stay home and teach our son. They work so we can afford medical bills, house payments, and upcoming med school tuition for Zoë. They work because they love their jobs.

They work because they love their children and husbands almost as much as I do.

-----

Karter's P.O.V

"Applesauce!" I smiled as daddy put the large jug into the basket.

Smiling he chuckled at my excitement, "yes smashed apples son. Stop acting like you just won the lottery."

Laughing at him I readjusted the bag on my back holding literally the only thing keeping me alive. Jerry, the oxygen tank.

I named him Jerry because when it groans at night it sounds like a very large dog sleeping next to me. I've always wanted to have a dog called Jerry.

I followed slowly down the soup aisle, and then the chips, and then we ended up in the freezer section.

"How's college?" I asked knowing how many hours he puts into learning just so he can teach me.

Smiling he shook his head, "fine. Still the same old stuff, literature, biology, all the things I need to know." I could tell he was finished talking about the subject because of the way he flicked his hand upwards at the end of his sentence. As if he was dismissing the rest of my questions about his education.

Sighing I just started to push different food items in the cart to the sides until I made a hole in the middle large enough for me to sit. Throwing my leg over the edge I stood on that foot and sat down in the hole, letting my other foot hang off the front of the cart.

"Gentlemen, start your engines!" daddy yelled and then started to push the cart in front of him as he ran down the aisle. I couldn't stop the laughter that bubbled up from my stomach, even after the short ride was over. I laughed, and laughed, and laughed until I was crying, my stomach muscles hurt, and I was out of breath. Well, more out of breath than usual.

As we made our way to the checkouts a lady recognized daddy and embraced him in one of the tightest hugs I had seen in a while. I was so focused on the two I was surprised when I heard a tiny voice next to me.

Looking over I saw a small boy with short, fiery red hair and blue eyes. His facial features were very soft, feminine like. He was covered in freckles from every part of his body I could see. He was dressed in an oversized black hoodie that seemed to swallow him, dark jeans and Chucks.

His eyes had dark purple bags underneath them. But the biggest eye catcher about the small boy, was the wire like colored tubes coming from his chest and the many colored bands lining his wrists.

Cancer.

"Luke," he smiled his blindingly white teeth. His cheeks lit up with a rose tone and his eyes scrunched up showing laugh lines.

Nodding I pushed my cannula further into my nose as if I were begging it for more air. Telling me that this boy was taking my breath away.

Smiling I breathed, "Karter."

Watching me as I tried to get my breathing back to normal he asked a question everyone is always thinking, "cancer?"

Shaking my head I corrected him, "ILD caused by low-immune system."

Nodding he pulled down his black hoodie to show me his chest and the chords the plunged right above his heart.

"Stage 4 leukemia," he sighed and pulled his shirt back into place. I think both of us went silent at that point because we were both realizing this is the first time we had met someone who could actually understand.

Pushing myself up I jumped out of the cart and pulled my backpack back on, "wanna go for a walk?" I asked holding my hand out to the fragile boy. Nodding he took my hand and and had me help him carefully out of the metal cart. But, after he had finished climbing out he didn't let go of my hand...and I didn't mind.

"Mom-" he was interrupted by the woman I was assuming was his mom shooing us away while smiling at us.

"Have fun!" She hollered and I pulled Luke down the nearest aisle that had no one in it and pulled him into my arms. After pulling away he raised his eyebrow up at me.

Smiling I explained myself, "you are probably the only person on this planet who could ever understand me better right now."

Nodding he just smiled and pulled me to sit on the floor next to him.

-----

"Karter, time to go," daddy said wheeling down the aisle with Luke's mom who I found out was named Martha.

Sighing I just turned to Luke, "stay alive...for me," I smiled and kissed his forehead.