Girls Just Want to Have Fun

“Erelin, I am so glad that we decided to have a girls’ night out. All we need now is to pick up Sam. Our brains needed a rest after all the exams those professors have put us through.” I said.

“Yes! Thank goodness it’s Friday!” Erelin exclaimed as were talking in my car. “Hey, I know that your dad is a busy man and all being the mayor but have you sat down and talked with him about your mom?” She asked.

“No. I’ve tried. He never comes home until late and then he is always in late meetings and conference calls. He pretty much locks me out of his room when he comes home. The house is so big, huge, and empty without mom. You would think he would want to talk to his daughter about things every now and then. Instead all I get is a phone call asking how college is or how am I doing. But it is always brief. I live there because he does take care of me and let me live rent free but it is hard since mom died. I feel like he has too. I feel alone.” I said driving over to Sam’s.

“You know you have Sam and I to lean on.” Erelin said.

“I know and I love you guys. You are my best friends, but it would be nice to have family dinners again or movie nights with dad, you know? I haven’t been able to get him to eat with me. I cook alone unless Trudy our housekeeper fixes dinner for me. I miss the father daughter relationship we used to have. He’s so distant. Maybe that’s why I love hanging out at your place more.” I said laughing.

“You just like my dad’s cooking is all.” Erelin said laughing.

“What can I say? At least I eat well at your house. You always tell me I look too thin. Now you know why.” I said laughing again.

We made to Sam’s apartment and knocked on her door. She didn’t answer right away. Sam gave us each a spare key to her place awhile back, which Erelin and I always joked about having wild parties when she was away.

We unlocked the door and walked in. We hollered her name but she didn’t answer. Erelin and I searched her place just to make sure something didn’t happen to her but there was no sign of her being there. This was getting odd.

“Call her cell phone.” Erelin suggested.

“I reached into my pants pocket and pulled out my phone. It was nine thirty at night. Where could she be? I dialed her number.

“Hi, this is Sam. As you can see I couldn’t answer my phone so leave a message.” I heard her voicemail say.

“Sam, this is Amanda. Erelin and I were supposed to pick you up tonight and go clubbing remember? Where are you? Call my cell. We are heading to Fourth Street to the couple of clubs there. Maybe you can meet us? Bye.” I said hanging up my phone.

“No answer then?” Erelin asked.

“No. Maybe she just went off somewhere to chill. We all had a long week. We can call her later. Let’s go on and head out.” I said putting my phone into my pants pocket.

Erelin and I drove to Fourth Street and decided we would check out Coyote Moon first. We searched everywhere but didn’t see Sam anywhere. So we got bored and crossed the street to the next club called Red Cheetah. Erelin and I split up only to meet in the middle of the club with no luck of spotting Sam. Erelin then dialed her cell phone but got no answer.

“Well, maybe she is visiting a family member or something she forgot to tell us about.” Erelin said after she put her phone away.

“I guess but I should call her tomorrow then to make sure. In the mean time, lets have some fun. After all we did come to dance and have a good time.” I said getting into the music.

“Hey, see those two gorgeous guys over there?” Erelin said pointing to two fellas at the bar. Both were dark headed and one appeared shorter than the other.

“Yeah.” I said.

“Well, I noticed them at the other club as we searched for Sam. I think the short one is staring at you.” Erelin said winking.

“I so seriously doubt that out of all these girls.” I said moving onto the dance floor.

Erelin and I danced for what seemed a few hours before getting tired. I turned towards the bar to notice that the two handsome guys were gone. Erelin was right about the one staring at me but the other seemed to stare at her too.

“You ready to leave?” I said looking at my watch. “It’s almost two am.” I said glancing at Erelin.

“I think so. I’m beat.” She said.

We walked out of the club and noticed some of the other shops and restaurants that were open late with the clubs had closed already. Fourth Street had become deserted almost except for those still in the clubs. I looked around carefully as we approached the parking garage. I somehow felt like we were being watched but I didn’t want to alarm Erelin.

After we got in my car and locked the doors, I headed towards her place to drop her off. When I made it there, I told her to call me in the morning and especially if she heard from Sam. I watched her get in her house and then I took off towards my home.

When I pulled into the driveway, I noticed that there weren’t any lights left on in the house which meant that Dad hadn’t come home yet. Our housekeeper must have forgotten to turn the porch light on before she left as well. How odd of her.

I took my key out and opened the back door. I somehow made it to my room in the dark and shut my bedroom door. I put on my pjs and hopped into bed hoping that I would quickly fall into dreamland. Instead as soon as I got situated into bed and closed my eyes, a hand came out of nowhere and covered my mouth, preventing me from screaming.