A Day In The Life Of.../Once Bitten, Twice As Shy

After I made breakfast for everyone, Pete had decided against our date for the evening and instead teach me how to fight better. It was fine by me because Pete was definitely hot and I considered this a semi date. He had Rick show me all the weapons and I was instantly smitten with the crossbow which Pete refused to start me on in the training room.

When we were done training I told Pete I was going for a swim and headed upstairs. I wondered how Erelin’s date with Brendon was and how Sam and Jake were doing on their patrolling. I wanted them to all be careful.

I got my bathing suit on and ran down to the pool. The water felt nice and I decided to test my backstroke to see if I still had what it took. I couldn’t get all the thoughts of me and Pete landing on each other and him getting close to me out of my head.

“Hey, mind if I join you?” Pete said surprising me as I was floating on my back in the water, lost in my own world.

“Sure, I guess.” I said.

“I think a swim will do the trick. I have energy that was left over from our session and I need to burn it.” He said.

Wow! I so read into that wrong and grinned. He didn’t notice it thank goodness.

“Well, you want to race me in this big pool?” I said.

“I’d win. Vampires are faster.” He said.

“Maybe on land but water is my turf.” I said laughing.

“I accept your challenge.” He said as we lined up in out positions.

“On the count of three and to one end and back.” I said. “One, two, three!” I said taking off on my back then switching to the regular swim technique. I admit that he was fast as he said but I won. I was a fast swimmer and always had been.

“Wow! You beat me.” He said.

“I told you.” I said breathing heavy for air.

Pete and I swam and talked a little more. He was suddenly interested in everything that was going on in my life. He asked me about my old job and told me Sam had told him about it.

“I do miss my job I had. I loved helping those kids. They needed someone to look up to and I encouraged all of them to fight as hard as they could. I was always there if any one of them needed me no matter what time it was. I read stories to the younger kids and talked to the older ones. I took some out on good days and sat with them on bad days. I have to admit that it hurt my heart when one would pass away but I at least let them know that they weren’t alone and that people loved and cared for them.” I said starting to cry.

“I didn’t mean to upset you.” Pete said getting close to me.

“No, it is just that I don’t understand why my dad made me quit. He never explained other than that if I didn’t do what he said he wouldn’t pay my tuition any more. I had to finish school so what was I to do? I always wanted to help people. And now come next Monday after spring break, I have to go and drop out of my classes I guess.” I said.

“Amanda, I’m sorry.” He said pulling me into a hug. “I like that you want to help people. You have a good heart. Maybe that is why I am falling for you.” Pete said whispering to me.

Was Pete really serious? He wasn’t trying to use me to get to my dad? I wanted to believe him. I wanted to be close to him. Pete was so much different than Colin and I want to get past that loser.

“I think I am going to call it a night.” I said getting out of the pool.

“You want to watch a movie in my room with me?” Pete asked.