The Jealous Factor

(Pete’s POV)
I heard a knock on the door. I gently laid Amanda down on the bed and away from me as I got up to answer her door. My face was still in full vampire mode and I was having trouble changing back to human form.

“Pete!” Brendon said barging in through the door and shoving me. “We had an agreement no biting anyone.” He said pissed off.

“Wait, you don’t understand and keep it down or you will wake her back up.” I said finally able to retract my fangs.

“Look, I already understand why you bit her the first time and I am grateful you did or we could have been in bigger trouble but now?” Brendon asked shocked walking over to Amanda to check on her.

“She’s fine. Amanda couldn’t calm down over the fact of what happened. So I helped to ease her mind a bit so she could sleep.” I said still tasting Amanda’s blood on my lips. Who was I kidding? Brendon is right about our agreement. The more I take, the more I want.

“That is no excuse.” Brendon said coming back over to where I was standing. “I don’t want to see Amanda end up getting hurt. You will become just like her father, a monster.” He said.

“It is hard. I couldn’t even look at her as she left to find you earlier. Now, I couldn’t retract my fangs in time. I know how hard it is and the cravings will be there. But I have to fight them for her sake. I don’t want to hurt her Brendon and that’s why I promise I won’t bite her again. Amanda just needed to calm down. She said every time she closed her eyes she replayed in her head the events that happened tonight. I just wanted her to sleep well tonight because tomorrow is another day and who knows what may happen.” I said explaining my actions.

“Just be careful, Pete. Amanda doesn’t want to end up like us.” Brendon said.

“Why did you come up here for anyway?” I asked.

“Erelin and Ryan are talking. Everyone is kind of taking him in and he was at one point the enemy. How does someone forget that?” He asked upset.

“Oh, I see. You are jealous.” Pete said grinning.

“No, I’m not.” He said.

“Yes, you are. I can see it in your actions. You are in love with Erelin.” I said pressing his buttons.

“So what if I am?” He said finally admitting something. “I really like her. I don’t know if its love yet but she is a great person. She was engaged to Ryan at one time Pete. They were close. What do I have to compete with that? I am a vampire for crying out loud. All the girls never stay. They always leave Pete. Maybe I am cursed.” Brendon said leaning against Amanda’s dresser.

“All I can say is talk to her. Tell her how you feel. You will never know how she feels if you don’t try. As for Ryan, I need a little talk with him. Come on. Now that Amanda is sleeping comfortably, I can leave her.” I said shooing Brendon out of Amanda’s room and shutting her door.

“I don’t want him staying here.” Brendon said.

“I don’t want him here either but we may have to let him stay in order to protect him from the vampire after him. Until we find her and kill her we have to keep an eye on him.” I said shrugging my shoulders.

“Man, this sucks just when things were going great.” He said walking off.

Things were going great between Amanda and me until Colin ruined things. I don’t want to see anything bad happen to Amanda or her friends. But I am drawn to Amanda in more ways than one and we are connected now which scares me. Can I really control these urges I am developing from biting her now?

I walked downstairs to see everyone talking to Ryan and asking questions as Brendon had told me. I walked over to Erelin who was smiling. I pulled her aside.

“Erelin, Brendon would like to talk to you.” I said.

"Oh?’ She asked.

“Please just hear what he has to say, ok?” I asked.

“Is he upstairs in his room?” She asked.

“I think so.” I replied.

“Ok.” She said heading upstairs.

“I’m sorry everyone but Ryan needs a break.” I said.

“Oh, but we want to know how he met Erelin and everything.” Jenny said.

“You can find out tomorrow.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Come on Ryan.” I said pushing him into the kitchen. “Let’s take a walk outside. We need to have a little chat.” I said.