Goodbyes, Packing, And A Frosty/Why Do You Have To Be The Voice Of Reason?

We finally arrived at my house. I knew Trudy was there from seeing her car in the driveway so we were able to walk on in the house. I found her in the kitchen making something that she was going to leave in the fridge for me to have for dinner later.

“Trudy!” I said running up to hug her. I knew I had to because I may never get to see her again.

“Hi honey.” She said hugging me back. “Your father is home.” She added.

“Oh.” I said looking at Sam.

“I hate to tell you this but he fired me. Today is my last day. I am just making you some dinner and then I am leaving.” She said upset.

“Oh, Trudy I am so sorry. What will you do now?” I asked.

“I am thinking that I am going to leave tomorrow morning to stay with my daughter in Colorado.” She replied.

“I will miss you. You have always been like family to me.” I said relieved that she was leaving this city but sad to see her go.

“I will miss you too. Now go off with Sam.” She said laughing and hugging Sam too. She always made the best desserts and Sam loved her chocolate cake.

“Oh, Trudy if you aren’t here when we come back down be careful and don’t go out at night.” I said warning her.

“Oh, you know me. I like to stay in anyway.” She said. “Oh, and your dad has locked himself in his room again. I haven’t been able to understand how he is anymore since your mom died.” Trudy added.

“I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t know him anymore either.” I said hugging her once more hoping she makes it out of this city safe.

I grabbed Sam and ran upstairs quickly locking my bedroom door. I opened up my closet and threw out three big duffel bags. I handed one to Sam who just started grabbing clothes out of my dresser as I threw clothes out of my closet in a bag. Then I heard a knock on my door and Sam and I froze.

“Amanda, why is your door locked?” I heard my dad say turning the knob.

“Uh, I have Sam over. We got back from shopping and we are trying on some clothes.” I said lying and looking at Sam.

“Oh, you have Sam here?” He asked.

“Yes. I am going to be spending a few days at her place. We need some party time from all the stress of college.” I said.

“Ok, well have fun.” He said walking away from my door.

“Wow that was close.” Sam said.

“A little too close.” I said walking in my bathroom and getting all my makeup and stuff. I then picked up a picture of me and mom off my nightstand and one of mom, me, and dad. I stuffed them into one of my bags.

“Ready?” She said.

“Yes.” I said getting my cell phone off my dresser.

I quickly opened the door looking around for my dad. He was no where to be seen so we ran as fast as we could quietly with my bags down into the kitchen. Trudy had already left and so I took one last look at the house then bolted for Sam’s car.

We threw my bags in the trunk and once we hopped in she floored it out of the driveway. She didn’t stop until we reached a Wendy’s. I ran in to get some food and she called Pete for me telling him everything that had happened.

I came out of Wendy’s carrying my food and a frosty for Sam. She gave me this look of happiness and tossed me my phone. Pete was left hanging on the line.