Chapter 47

"Did you hear what happened?"

"I heard there was a fight."

"I heard the girl showed up uninvited and trashed the place."

"Hush, here she comes."

The four girls stopped their excited whispering to wave to their boss as she strutted down the hallway, her expensive heels clicking against the marble flooring as she gave a curt nod to the four women.

"Morning, Miss," the four chorused in unison.

"Morning, in my office now please," Eloise Desmond said with a curt nod, motioning her hand for them to follow suit.

The girls followed their boss into a large office that over looked the city, Eloise put her files on her desk as she sat in her high back chair. Her staff standing before her, nervously twitching.

"Any questions you care to ask me?" Eloise raised an eyebrow at them.

There was a minute where the girls looked between each other nervously, Eloise never asked them questions--it was a task based job, she only demanded results, not questions.

"Are the rumors true?" A girl with raven black hair pulled into a bun piped up, the other three looked at her with wonder and fear. "Did your daughter really--"

"I will not answer those questions," Eloise snapped, her eyes sparking with fire, "get to work. There will be files on each of your desks, I want them by lunch."

"Yes, Miss," the four said in unison before hurrying off.

"Close the door!" Eloise snapped, the door was closed quickly and Eloise let her head hang low. She had taken off for an entire week after her encounter with her daughter and she wasn't surprised that there were rumors flying around the office. Everywhere she walked she heard the hushed conversations that were cut short as she passed. What else would happen?

Eloise leaned back into her chair, moving it around so she could look outside, that night had not ended on a happy note. Everyone who had witnessed what happened had distanced themselves from the Desmonds, and her husband blamed her for him having loss a close friend. Eloise twisted her wedding band on her finger with a sigh, Claus still held the pleasantries of asking how her day was and caring about her well-being, but that was where their communication stopped. She didn't blame Claus for his cold demeanor, it was expected after how she reacted to seeing their daughter unexpectedly. She hadn't been prepared for that moment.

A knock on the door forced Eloise to take a deep breath and close her eyes, "come in," her voice was strained as she turned her chair back to her desk. She looked down at her paperwork before meeting the eyes of the newcomer.

"Hello," Alexandria whispered, she was wringing her hands together as she stood beside the chair before her mother's desk.

"Is there an issue you would like to discuss with our department?" Eloise said officially, shuffling her paperwork around her desk nervously, trying not to notice her daughter's hurt expression, "you will have to fill out--"

"Mum," Alexandria interrupted, taking a step forward.

"Of course you'll have to wait a few days until its--"

"Mum!" Alexandria shouted, she placed her hands on the edge of the wooden desk and leaned forward. Tears falling onto the paperwork that scattered the desk, Eloise averted her gaze. "Mum, please look at me."

Eloise worried her bottom lip, slowly meeting her daughter's gaze, "I'm at work, Alexandria. Unless you have an important issue you'd like to discuss, then you may leave."