Chapter 15

"Victor. Victor?"

"Hm?" Vic looked up as McGonagall called him during the Order meeting a month after Alexandria had been spotted by Fred Weasley at Charlie's cabin.

"I said is there any recent news," McGonagall looked expectantly at him. But she gave him a sympathetic look, she was taking Alexandria's disappearance hard just as much, but Vic was distraught bordering on insanity to many of the Order.

"Not since the article that said Desmond was reported as captured," Vic said gruffly, his knuckles whitening slightly in his lap.

He could've prevented that, could've protected Alexandria. But she had to leave. Had to try and protect Vic and anyone else she could. Then she got kidnapped and it was all over the papers, everywhere he looked it was another picture of her face and the words captured underneath. It made his blood boil and that familiar red tint cloud his vision.

"Let's just hope she can withstand the Dark Lord's interrogation," Lupin commented.

"Or Lestrange's," Tonks put in softly.

"Just stop," Vic turned his head away from the couple as they sat across from him.

Silence filled the room as Vic pushed his chair away from the table and stood up, "I apologize...I should go," he muttered, not wanting to hear anymore. He looked at Tonks and Lupin who gave understanding smiles before Vic quickly left the room.

He could spend hours talking with them, learning everything they had to offer, but not now. Not without Alexandria. Without her he felt empty and cold, she was the light and constant in his world, without her he didn't know what to do with himself. He had always had a simple goal: protect Alexandria. But without her around, that goal was meaningless and there was nothing he could do about it. His world felt small and bleak, he had poured so much of himself into protecting Alexandria since the day he met her and when he discovered her secret he dropped everything for her.

Now the world was empty and dark.

"Mate, hang on for a moment," Fred gripped his shoulder when Vic passed him in the hall.

"She just had to go and try to be brave," Vic muttered as he shoved Fred's hand off his shoulder.

"Are you still mad at her?" Fred whispered.

"Aren't you?" Vic scoffed.

Fred shook his head, "I was but...not anymore. Because I understand, now I'm just determined to get her back."

"She dumped you and left, and you're talking about getting her back?" Vic said a bit too hostile. "She's not going to come back to you. Ever. Even if she somehow manages to survive being held prisoner, she'll never come back to you."

Fred's fist was hard as he punched Vic in the stomach, "Alexandria is your best mate and this is how you talk about her?"

"My best friend doesn't just--"

"She left to protect you!" Fred shouted, getting close in Vic's face, "I personally watched her change and I wish I hadn't. It was terrifying and when she looked up at me...those eyes..." a shiver moved down Fred's spine as he reflected on the past. Vic nodded in understanding, he felt the same when he saw those bottomless black pits. "She tried drinking my blood, Vic."

Vic only glared being at a loss of words as the two stared at each other. "She drank mine." Fred raised an eyebrow at this, "I thought she was going to die. I thought it'd save her life by giving her my blood."

"Is that why you're so mad with her? Because you saved her life and she left?" Fred questioned. "They were after her, they would've killed us if we were anywhere near her. She did the right thing."