Chapter 27

"It's midnight," Fred muttered, checking his watch. He caught Alexandria's eye and gave his best smile under the circumstances.

There was a great cracking sound that vibrated the hallway, Fred and Lee moved to the nearby window to see a great big crack in the sky.

"Everyone get ready," Fred called behind him, tightening his grip on his wand.

Alexandria felt the itch of her fangs against her closed lips, the familiar knocking on the back of her mind was now a pounding as they stood there. She looked at Fred, noticing that he was watching her out of the corner of his eye. His expression was a mixture of concern, fear, and hope.

Keep calm. Keep calm for Fred, don't lose it.

She had took a deep breath, having to remind herself this simple sentence over and over as they stood there.

"I hear shouting," Lee Jordan muttered. He turned his head to the right where the sounds were coming from.

Everyone raised their wands high as the sounds came closer, Alexandria stepped before the group, her wand held at her side.

"Lexi, step back," Fred spoke up as spells began to light up the hall up ahead of them.

Alexandria didn't answer, the pounding at the back of her head was worsening. It was constant and began to block out all other sounds around her, the vampire wanted to come out-- to waltz the halls as a deadly and unstoppable force. She began to think of how many days had passed since she had blood, just a single taste...two days ago? Four days? A week? She couldn't remember and suddenly her throat was dry and coarse like sandpaper.

Even swallowing spit felt as if it were moving against sandpaper in her throat, she gagged slightly causing Fred to come stand beside her just as shadows appeared at the end of the hall-illuminated by spells. Alexandria's vision was blurring as Death Eaters appeared and shouted spells, causing the small group to back away slightly. But Alexandria was quick, she wouldn't give in to the vampire that begged to stretch its legs but instead she controlled herself as she shifted through the hall in quick movements with unimaginable speed and grace. Appearing by one Death Eater, taking hold of his arm behind him, snapping the bone with ease, bringing him down quickly before moving onto another as someone shouted a stunning spell at her fallen victim.

Their method didn't last long, however, the hall was soon packed and the group was forced to disperse quickly. Alexandria looked over her shoulder to see Fred sticking close by as he fought through the throng of dark wizards.

"If it isn't our favorite little vampire," a voice growled in her ear.

Alexandria jerked back as Fenrir Greyback let out a cold laugh, his eyes were slits and his canines were sharp and glistened threateningly in the torch light. Alexandria let out a guttural noise on reflex as she stood to her full height, the pounding was so much worse now. Fred grabbed her hand, shouting some incoherent spell as he pulled her away from Fenrir and down the hall.

Fred's fingers interlaced with hers as they ran for their lives, the castle shook around them as they came to the moving stairs. Alexandria wheezed as the railing rammed into her chest unexpectantly, she gripped it harshly, her nails digging into the marble as the staircase began to move.

"Think he can make the jump?" Fred breathed out as he clung to her arm.

They stared as Fenrir appeared where the stairs had once been, he looked pissed but backed away, "I don't want to stick around to find out," Alexandria muttered.

They didn't wait for the stairs to come to a halt before running up and being met with four Death Eaters, Alexandria was no match for them and quickly took them out. Alexandria stopped behind a now vacant stand a suit of armor had once occupied and gasped from the unexpected pain in her head. The knocking was becoming worse and it felt like something was pulling her hair in a forceful knot, but there was nothing touching her but Fred's consoling hand on her own.