Chapter 33

The shop was officially back on its feet, it had opened two weeks ago as a trial, but today was the first day that it was officially back to its old ways. George had finished putting the last of the love potions out when Vic walked in, looking horribly ill--his face was sunken in, his cheekbones protruding rather noticeably, his collar bone was protruding underneath his skin that was shown under the dress shirt. Even his skin looked paler than usual, his hair was lank and dull, and his eyes....Vic had always had a spark in his eyes, something that drove girls mental when they saw him, but now they just looked at the world with a blank look--void of emotion.

George coughed slightly, "morning, Vic. How're you?"

Vic looked up, his smile looking slightly manic, "fine. Fine...how're you? Did you see the sky today? Looks nice out, I'll buy lunch today for everyone." 

This was bad, Vic hadn't spoken with Alexandria for three weeks now, and each time George saw Vic, he only saw how this was destroying him.  Vic had lost so much weight over the past few days it was unbelievable.

"Vic, can you mind the front? I'll be right back," George stammered, Vic nodded while George headed straight to the back to find Fred sitting on a box. 

"Did you see that?" George hissed.

"It's scary," Fred commented with a nod. 

"Vic has gone batty and Alexandria has become an anemic robot, both are slowly dying without the other," George mused.

"We need to fix this," Fred agreed. "I can't stand this any longer."

"The couch isn't too comfortable is it?"

Fred began to crack his back, "should really work on getting that fixed as well."

George nodded as a crashing sound was heard from the other room, the two looked at each other before pulling the curtain back and looking around. Pygmy Puffs were littered around the floor along with rocks of Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder, Vic stood by the Sneakoscopes shouting incoherent things before sobs echoed through the store.

It took a few seconds for George to realize that Vic was holding Alexandria up against the shelving, her shirt front was balled in his fists as he violently shook from head to toe. Alexandria was struggling against the grip as Vic began to sob and speaking hysterically as he shook his head.

"Vic!" George shouted, but Vic didn't listen.

George ran forward, pulling Vic from Alexandria who collapsed to the ground, coughing violently. Vic glared through his tears and was about to say something but George' s fists were faster as he connected with Vic's chest. George said nothing as he picked Alexandria up and walked away, heading to the back room and up the steps, placing her at the top. Away from everyone else.

"Are you alright?" George whispered as Alexandria shook.

Alexandria nodded as she massaged her throat, "thank you."

George rubbed her back in small circles, "should've warned you not to come by today."

"I just thought that you and Fred would like lunch, so I came to ask," Alexandria whispered.

George chuckled slightly, "are you really alright?"

Alexandria was trembling slightly, her eyes looked as if she were holding back tears as she played with the bottom of her shirt. She pushed her hair behind her ears and was slowly shaking her head, "he...he hates me so much," Alexandria choked out.

George would've denied this but he couldn't, not after what he'd just witnessed. "What happened exactly?"

"I walked in, he saw me, and attacked," Alexandria shook slightly, she began to break down while George sat beside her helpless.