The Proposal

~Ian's POV~

Dinner with Melanie's parents was so awkward. Her dad asked me questions about Smosh while her mom rolled her eyes at me. She really doesn't realize how successful Smosh has been this past year.

"I'm gonna feed Noah and put him down for a nap." Melanie leaves and heads upstairs to her room. Now's my chance to talk to her parents.

"Hey Mr. and Mrs. Moat. Can I talk to you about something?" I asked.

"Sure." Her dad says. "What's up?"

Just as I was about to talk, her brother and his girlfriend walk in. "Hey Ian, what's up?" Matt asked.

"I'm here visiting but since you're here too I need to talk to all of you."

"Ian just spill it." Her mom says.

"I want to propose to Melanie while I'm here. And before any questions, no we're not officially back together yet but I know this is what we both want and what is supposed to happen. Breaking up with Melanie is the biggest regret I hold and I want to fix it. I know she just moved back here and you're all probably happy to have her here again and it does seem like I'm doing it because we have a kid together but trust me when I say I love her more than anything and I promise to make sure her and Noah are happy and safe."

It went silent for a bit. "Okay." Her dad says. "I'm all for it."

"Me too." Matt says. "Ian, you make my sister happy and that's all that matters."

"As much as I don't agree with your career choice, I will admit that Melanie is at her best when she's with you. You guys are a beautiful family, how could I say no to that?" Her mom says. Wow I was not expecting that.

"Should I do it tonight?" I asked.

"Aww tonight under the lights will be so romantic!" Charlotte says.

"Michael and I will stay here with Noah" her mom says.

"Okay, I uh, can't believe I'm doing this!" I chuckle.

"You'll be fine" matt says. "Just breathe, you'll know when the time is right. Trust me I was you two weeks ago."

~Melanie's POV~

Why do I hear other voices downstairs? Sounds like Matty. Hm, didn't know he was coming. I put Noah down in his crib and head back down to the living room. I was right, it's Matt and Charlotte. "Hey guys, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"We wanted to know if you guys wanted to come to the festival of lights." Matt says.

"Oh, um, i don't know. I just put Noah down." I say.

"Your father and I will stay here with him. You deserve the night out." My mom says.

"Alright then, Ian do you wanna go?" I ask.

"Sure, I'm down." He says.

Everyone is acting strange. Do they know Ian is gonna propose? What if he does it tonight? Remember Melanie, don't anticipate anything. I grab my coat from the closet and we head out to Matt's car. Ian and I get in the back seat and he drives off. I hope my parents are okay with Noah, it's been a while since they've taken care of a baby. Matt parks the car and puts money in the meter.

"Downtown looks so beautiful all lit up." Charlotte says.

"I know, too bad it doesn't look like this year round." Matt says.

"I kinda wish I grew up in a small town like this. Sac was kinda boring." Ian says.

"Yeah this time of year was always my favorite growing up." I say.

"Hey i need to use the restroom, Mel can you come with me?" Charlotte says.

"Yeah, sure. Be right back." I say.

~Ian's POV~

The girls leave to find a bathroom. Matt pulls me to the side.

"When are you going to do it?" He asked.

"Soon. I need to get her alone so when they get back you two need to split from us." I say. "Not too far though, Melanie would probably want pictures or a video"

"Alright, i think you should stand in front of the fountain in the park. Face north because the lights behind will be really romantic. Trust me, I had to plan my proposal."

"Okay, they're coming back."

Charlotte and Melanie come back from the bathroom and reunite with us. We start walking through the park and eventually Matt and Charlotte slowly separate themselves from us. Well, here goes nothing. Don't back out Ian; think about the future.

~Melanie's POV~

They left me alone with Ian. Is he actually doing this now? Okay breathe Melanie. Just relax and don't get to excited too quick. We walk around and talk for a couple of minutes until he stops in front of the fountain.

"Ian, I know I said this before but I'm really happy you're here." I say.

"Well, I just like being where ever you are." He says, smiling at me. Oh my god he's so cute when he makes subtle flirts. "Melanie, I actually wanted to talk to you about something." I can't take it anymore, I need to tell him how I feel. I cup his face with my hands and kiss him. I feel him kiss back and those sparks were back. I let go and he looks confused yet happy. "Um, okay I was not expecting that. How long have you been feeling this way?"

"Five minutes after we broke up!" I start feeling tears come to my eyes. "Ian what are doing? It's obvious neither of us wanted the break up and I was so stupid to even say it because it was a just a fight and I know it really hurt you!" I cried.

"Melanie it's okay. Look, I know this past year has been crazy for us but maybe being separated during this time was a good thing. Because now we know what we want our relationship to be. The reason I was so upset before you left was because I already lost you once, and I couldn't stand the thought of losing you again which is what gave me the confidence to come here and win you back."

"I love you!"

"I love you too!" I jump into his arms and he twirls me around. "I missed you so much." He puts me down and kisses me again. "But now I need to ask you something very important that I know you'll say yes to." Suddenly Ian gets down on one knee and pulls out the small box; revealing the ring to me. Even though i knew it was coming i still cried tears of joy; but who wouldn't when they're being proposed to. "Melanie, you are the love of my life and the mother of my child. Everyday i fall in love with you more and more and I promise to make sure you and Noah are always loved and protected for the rest of our lives. Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" I cried. Ian slips the ring on my finger and pulls me into a kiss. I feel like the happiest girl in the world right now. People around us are clapping and cheering for us. I almost forgot we were in a public place. He holds me close to him and smiles as we looked into each others eyes. "I love you, Ian Hecox!"

"I love you too Melanie Moat!"