Anticipation

~Ian's POV~

I finally landed in New Jersey. Damn, it's really fucking cold here. I sit in the airport, trying to figure out how to tell Melanie I love her. I know I want it to be a surprise. I don't want to plan out every word just in case it sounds too scripted; i want it to sound like it comes from me and not a piece of paper. I called an cab to pick me up and bring me to Melanie's mom's house. Seeing that house brought back great but also terrifying memories. Like when her parents found out we were dating, i was interrogated and interviewed for three hours in that house. Great, her mom's not home; now no one else can come to the door instead of Melanie. I feel like I should wait a day to propose. That way i can make it romantic and have somone help me plan it. I walk up to her door and knock. Well, no turning back now.

~Melanie's POV~

Work today was so boring. This job wasn't as great as i thought it would be. But as long as it's putting food on my's son's plate i'm okay. At least no one is home at the moment so i can just relax with my baby boy. I feel terrible that my mom has to watch him while i'm at the museum. Hopefully i'll find a real sitter soon. I pick up Noah from his crib. Lately he's been looking sad, like something's bothering him. I mean i've been feeling the same way but i don't know why. "What's the matter honey?" I asked. "Tired? Hungry?" I place Noah in his bouncy chair. Still nothing. "What's wrong honey? Do you miss daddy?" He looks at me blankly. "Not gonna lie, I do too a little." Suddenly there's a knock on the door. I pick up Noah again and head to the door. Wait, is it? No way! I open the door and Ian smiles widely at me. He's here, not angry at all. "Ian, what are you doing here?" I asked, excitedly.

"Anthony wanted the week off so i figured I could come and see you guys. Is that okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, of course. Come in!" I let him in and close the door behind me. "Noah look who's here! It's daddy!"

Ian takes Noah from me and kisses his cheek. "I missed him so much!"

"Trust me, I think he missed you too. All week he's been a little down. I haven't seen him this happy in a while."

He looks around the living room. "Everything's the same."

"Yeah, my mom doesn't like change very much!" I chuckle. "my room screams 2007 emo."

"So is it okay if i stay here? I couldn't get a hotel."

"Yeah you can stay on the futon in my room." The door opens again and it's my parents. "Hey guys, look who came to visit!"

"Hey Ian, what's going on?" My dad asked.

"Pretty good, just visiting for the week." Ian says.

"Well it's great to have you here. This week is a pretty big week for the town. We got the festival of lights tonight in the park, Friday there's a founder's day parade, and Saturday down by the shore is the polar plunge."

"Awesome."

I can see the aggrivation in my mom's face as she saw him. Oh boy. "Hi, Ian. Nice to see you again. Here to spend time with your son?" She says.

"Yeah i got time off from work so i came here to see these two."

"Hmm great. Where will you be staying?"

"I told him he can stay on the pull out in my room. He couldn't get a hotel and it's more convenient."

"I see. Well i'm gonna start dinner. It's a six."

"Okay. Ian come with me and we can get you settled." I take Ian to my room and he sets his bag down on the couch. "I'm really happy you're here."

"Really?"

"Yeah, especially after what happened before I left. You seemed really upset at me."

"I was but i shouldn't have been. You're only doing what you think is best for Noah." He puts Noah down in his crib. "But I've been trying to figure out a visiting schedule and the most I can do is every other week. Doesn't sound like alot but, seeing you guys two days at a time is better than not seeing you at all." He stares down at me and smiles. Ugh his smile is just perfect. "I think i'm gonna shower, a five hour flight straight through doesn't make me feel clean."

"Okay, there are towels in the closet."

"Thanks." He heads to the bathroom and locks the door. "Wait Mel can you bring me new clothes?"

"Sure" i start opening his bag but he quickly comes out and gets the clothes himself. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, i just had this sudden panic of where I put my phone. It's in here, we're good." He seems off. What is he hiding?

"Oh okay." He walks back in the bathroom but left his bag again. What's in there? I open it and start digging around. I know it's wrong to snoop through someone else's things but i'm curious. It seems like typical Ian stuff. Wait, what's this in the front pocket? I unzip it to find a little  velvet box. Wait, is this what I think it is? I open the black box and see a beautiful ring sitting there. Oh my god, did Ian come here to propose? How did I not see it this whole time? His reaction to me leaving makes so much more sense now. I can't believe this! I wish I didn't snoop because now i'm gonna question his every move. Like when did he plan on doing it? How? I put the ring in the exact spot i found it in and leave my room. I need to call Kalel.

"Hey Mel!" She said as she answered.

"Hey so did you know Ian was coming?"

"Yep, Anthony told me he was flying out to see you guys."

"Did he tell you Ian was going to propose to me?"

"What! He proposed?"

"Not exactly. I mean he is going to; I just found the ring in his bag before he could do it."

"Oh, so are you going to say yes?"

"Yeah, i think. I'm just so confused on how I missed it? Looking back it is so obvious he had feelings for me."

"Anthony and I asked ourselves that question everyday. Like Ian's eyes scream love when he looks at you."

"I wish he told me before I left. I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of moving."

"Well he's doing it now so it's better than never hearing it from him. How do you think he's gonna do it?"

"No idea. I don't even know when. He's here for a whole week so it could be days until he actually does it."

"Well don't stress, he is going to do it. And if he backs down again i will literally fly out there and do it for him because this is long overdue." She jokes.

"Thanks Kalel." I laugh. "But i think he's ready. He seems really excited, more than usual."

"I have to go, we're having dinner at Anthony's mom's house. Call me after he proposes."

"I will! Next time you hear from me I'll be on my way to being Melanie Hecox! Oh my god that's so weird but i love it so much."

"Bye. Congrats on the soon engagement."

"Thank you, bye." I hang up and start smiling.

Ian walks out from my room with Noah. Look at my handsome boys. "What are you happy about?"

"Um, just thinking about things. Wanna watch tv until dinner is ready?"

"Sure."

The next few days are gonna be filled with so much anticipation.