Chapter Eighty Eight

Alan was back at home for his first weekend after joining Theological college. Clare was concerned about him as he looked pale and tired. As the weather had settled, she encouraged him to sit on the terrace in a sun lounger, resting. 'The sun will do him good', she thought. As Clare stood at the sink washing up lunch plates and mugs, Adam came flying across the terrace and into the kitchen.

"Shush, Adam." said Clare. "Daddy's having a rest."

"He said yes!" said Adam, jumping up and down with excitement. "Daddy said yes, we can go to the dog centre this afternoon."

For the last few weeks, Adam had kept on about having a dog. His reasoning was, as they had such a large garden, he could walk the dog himself by walking around it twice. Although he was still young, Adam was quite responsible and Clare felt that possibly a dog would be good for him, but just a very small dog and it had to be friendly. Alan had recently changed his mind about owning a dog as a friend at college had taken him to meet his dog and Alan had surprised himself by really liking the animal.

So later that afternoon they called in at the local dog rescue centre. Clare and Alan were horrified to see so many dogs which were unwanted and in need of a home. Some seemed truly aggressive and barked and bared their teeth. They walked quickly past them. Others looked desolate and frightened and cowered in the corners of their cages.

"I'm glad we've come, Clare." Alan said. "I'm sure this is the right thing to do, to give a poor dog a good home."

"Yes." said Clare. "As long as we pick the right dog."

A lady called Sonia showed them a few dogs in several cages, but Adam was not impressed and then in the last cage of all was a small, ugly dog. Most of his coat had been rubbed away, leaving pink skin exposed. What was left of his hair was patchy and stringy looking. Even his ears had no hair on them. Despite this, Adam took to him immediately and when the cage was opened, both dog and child were ecstatic. It was akin to watching two old mates being reunited.

"There's no accounting for love, is there?" said Alan, laughing.

"No obviously not." Clare smiled.

"He's a lovely little dog this one and used to children. His owners fell ill and were unable to look after him." said Sonia. "I know he looks a bit rough at the moment, but we bathed him and he was allergic to the shampoo. We're treating him and in a week's time he will look much better. He's two years old and he's house trained."

The dog put his head on one side and looked up at Adam and then placed his paw on his knee.

"Aah, isn't he lovely! Can I have this one, dad, please?" asked Adam. "He's the one I want and he's only small."

"Yes, we want this one." said Maryann, chiming in.

"You can't take him today, though, you'll have to wait until the treatment is complete next weekend." said Sonia.

"Are you prepared to wait Adam?" asked Alan.

"Oh yes, dad. I really want this dog." Adam replied.

So it was decided that 'Buster' come to live at the Harding household.  Clare would come and collect him with the children the following weekend.

On Monday, Alan had to return to Scotland. He was taking a taxi to the airport and flying back. Adam was at school, so Clare and Maryann were at home to watch his departure.

"Bye, Button." Alan said as he picked Maryann up into his arms. "Be good for mummy, won't you?"

"Don't go Daddy, please don't go!" Maryann cried. Tears cascaded down her little face. Her adoration for Alan was evident to everyone. Wherever Alan went, Maryann was always at his side. She was his little shadow. Tears sprang to Clare's eyes. It was so hard to say goodbye.

"Take care, darling, won't you? I love you." she said to Alan as she hugged him.

"I love you too, darling. I'll ring you as soon as I get back."

Clare had trouble prising Maryann off of Alan and he had to hurry out of the door and shut it behind him. Maryann was sobbing so much she could hardly catch her breath. Clare took her into her library room, where they watched Alan get into the taxi, which has parked on their driveway and they waved him goodbye, until the taxi left by the second gate and Alan was gone.