Chapter Seventy Four

Clare parked her car and started to unload her shopping, stacking it on the floor. She left a few bulky items in the boot as it was not possible for her to carry it all in one journey.

A man arrived carrying a wooden 'For Sale' notice and she wondered whose flat it applied to. He attached it to a piece of wood and was hammering away as she walked past him on the way up to her flat. 'For Sale' Flat No 12 the notice read. She was taken completely by surprise.

"Excuse me, are you sure you haven't made a mistake? Flat 12 is my friend's flat. He's not moving."

"I'm just the dogsbody. If they in that office 'ave made a mistake, it ain't my fault!" He grumbled and walked away, muttering.

Feeling mystified, Clare made her way to her apartment and was putting her shopping away in the cupboards, when the door bell rang. It was Alan, looking like a shadow of his former self.

"I'm glad I caught you. This is for you." he said, handing her a small cardboard bag.

"You're not moving are you? They've made a mistake!" she cried.

"No, it's no mistake. I am moving. I've decided to leave you in peace. You can get on with your life and I will get on with mine. I wish you all the luck in the world, Clare, I really do." Alan smiled weakly and she watched as he walked away across the hallway and down the stairs until he was out of sight.

Clare was shaken and not a little stirred! Alan was leaving? Why? He loved his flat. Would he leave Dixon's too? She carried the bag into the lounge and sat down on the sofa. She peeped inside, almost afraid to look and saw a green velvet box, on which was taped a small envelope. She lifted the box out, opened the envelope and read:-

My Darling

I forgot about this for a time

and it was in a drawer for some months.

I was going to give this to you on

our wedding day, but that's not going

to happen now. Whatever happens,

I will love you forever.

All my love,

always.

Alan

She lifted the lid of the box and there, nestled inside, was the cross which she had torn from her neck and thrown onto Hal's coffin. As she gasped at the sight of it, a feeling of panic welled up from the pit of her stomach. She made a mad dash into the bathroom, fell onto her knees and vomited into the toilet.

* * * * * * * * *