Chapter Three

The following Friday at the Book Store, Clare saw Hal standing in the usual place scrutinising a book, as was his habit. The sight of him made her feel deeply embarrassed. Not wishing to appear over friendly, she decided not to disturb him. 'If he wants to talk perhaps he'll come over to me', she thought. She went to the section where true life stories were kept and searched through, trying to find a book about child evacuees during the Second World War.

She was so intent on what she was doing that when a large hand was placed on her arm, she jumped. Looking up she saw Hal standing beside her. His eyes were full of apprehension as he took her hand in his own.

"My dear lady," he said "Would you do me the honour of coming out with me one evening?"

This was the moment she had waited for, but her cheeks grew hot and her heart fluttered at the surprise of it. "Oh, that would be nice," she replied quietly.

For their first date Hal took her to a concert at the Colston Hall. It was a lovely evening.  Hal was comfortable to be with. He smiled at her, held her hand and was the perfect gentleman. He drove her home in his old car and they sat talking, forgetting the time. Suddenly, she shivered with the cold and realised how late it was.

"I'd better go," she said.

"Would you come out with me again some time?" he asked.

"I'd love to." she replied. Even at this point in their new relationship she knew, deep in her heart that Hal was to become a very important person in her life.

The following week they visited a Wine Bar and listened to modern Jazz, Hal's favourite music. Clare wasn't mad on it, but it made a change to do something different. They talked much more in the car that night and he told her how pretty she was, when she was sure she wasn't, but even if it wasn't true, it was nice that he thought it.

The next date was dinner at an expensive Italian restaurant 'The Heart of Italy.'  When they arrived, a waiter showed them to a table by a large window, where they sat down opposite one another and looked out over a cobbled walkway by the river. Street lights twinkled in the darkness and couples walked by, hand in hand. It was a romantic setting in one of the parts of Bristol she loved best.

A wine waiter came with the wine list and Hal chose a bottle of white 'Sauternes'. It was more expensive than Clare would have wished and it made her feel uncomfortable. She said so, to Hal, but he gently brushed her comments aside. When the bottle arrived he poured the wine into their glasses. Putting on a French accent he asked, "Ver you brought up in Bristle?" Clare laughed.

"Yes, I've lived here all my life. I'm not very exciting I'm afraid."

"Vell, zat is funny," he said still in a French accent. "Because only ze other day I said to Gerald, 'Clare is ze most exciting girl I 'ave met for a long time'. In fact, you are ze only girl I 'ave met for a very long time."

It was a lovely compliment, but he was beginning to make her feel self-conscious and not only because of his French accent! People on the nearby table were looking over at them, so she changed the subject.

"Where were you brought up?"

"I was brought up in South Africa. I was an only child, but when my parents were murdered I came to live in England." he said. Clare was horrified. There was a pause as the waiter came with menus and they gave over their orders both, by chance, choosing vegetable lasagne.

"What happened?" asked Clare.

"Local rebels went on the rampage and set fire to several houses, about fifty people were killed. They set our house on fire. I used to climb out of the window late at night and hunt for insects and animals in the garden. It was strictly forbidden, but I did it all the same.