Chapter Forty Nine

The twelve 'De-Luxe' apartments at Maddison Gardens were arranged in an 'L' shape. The studios and one bedroom apartments shared the same entrance along the front, but the adjoining four apartments, which had three bedrooms, had a separate entrance around the corner. As they left the lift Clare said "Even with a lift it can't be very convenient living in a flat with a baby."

"It's not just that." said Alan. "They're moving away from Bristol. He's had a good job offer and they're going to rent until they find a house. They may even leave house hunting until after the new baby is born."

They waited outside Flat No. 4 for Miranda's parents, (the O'Toole's) to open the door.

"Hi Alan, what can we do for you?" asked a tall, obviously pregnant, red haired woman.

"Hi, Lisa, this is my friend, Clare. She wondered if she could view your apartment. Is it still for sale?" asked Alan.

"Well, that's a turn up for the books. Yes, sure. Come on in." A red haired child came running barefoot into the hall, looked at them both and then ran off again.

"Is that Miranda?" asked Clare.

"Yes, the nosy little thing." laughed Lisa.

Lisa ushered them into the Lounge and then followed them, after closing the front door.

Clare tried to make friends with Miranda, who was very shy and then Lisa and her husband, Craig showed Clare around the apartment. It was bright and painted in neutral colours. The lounge seemed larger than Alan's, but the kitchen was smaller. There was a separate bathroom with WC, bath and bidet, which pleased Clare as she preferred a bath. The large master bedroom had an en-suite shower and WC. The other two bedrooms were big enough for single beds and space for cupboards or computer. There was no view of the park from this apartment Clare noticed, which was disappointing, but the lounge looked out over the garden and the bedrooms into the cul-de-sac at the side.

"There's no balcony in this block, I'm afraid, it's always been a disappointment to me, but you can't have everything can you?" said Lisa.

"That doesn't bother me." said Clare. "I've got two young nieces and a nephew, so I think it may be safer if there isn't one."

"Would you like some coffee?" asked Lisa.

"No thank you, but I really love this apartment and I'd like to make an offer. You were asking £185,000 weren't you?"

"Well, yes..." said Craig, "but we thought we may be asking too much."

"I'll offer you £182,000." said Clare.

"I think you should think about this more carefully." Alan whispered.

"No." said Clare. "That's a fair offer. I love the apartment, it's just what I'm looking for.  Unless you've changed your mind and you wouldn't want me to live here?" Clare asked, looking at Alan.

"No, of course not. I just thought..." he replied.

"We'll be happy to accept your offer." said Craig, shaking Clare's hand.

"Yes, more than happy." said Lisa.

"Well, that's fine then," said Clare "I'll contact my solicitors on Monday."

They left the O'Toole's and went across to Alan's apartment and sat on the sofa, silently drinking tea, both in a state of shock. It had all happened so quickly. Suddenly Clare laughed out loud. "I'm moving out, moving up and moving on!" she said. "How exciting is that!"

Alan made no reply, but he smiled broadly.