Chapter Forty Six

Clare was standing in the hall-way saying goodnight to Alan. The family had left at 9 o clock and Alan decided to make tracks shortly afterwards. Kathy was staying the night.

"Thanks for a lovely day." he said. "I've not enjoyed Christmas Day so much for years and your Christmas dinner was something else!"

Clare laughed. "It usually is something else ... sausage and mash."

"I love sausage and mash." he said.

"You'll have to come round one evening and I'll cook it for you."

"I'll hold you to that."

As he bent down to kiss her cheek, his blue eyes sparkled like diamonds, taking her breath away. She felt oddly embarrassed, but not sure why.

"Have you got everything?" she asked.

"Yes." he replied.

"Oh no, wait a moment." She flew into the kitchen and fetched a bottle of whiskey.

"I forgot. I bought this for you."

Clare put it in the bag with his other presents.

"Thank you, that's wonderful. I'll open it when I get home."

Alan left and she waved to him from the doorway as he stood at the gate. She saw him mouth a few words to her, but she wasn't sure what he was saying. He smiled impishly...and then he was gone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

This chapter completes the Christmas Day episode.