Chapter Thirty Five

The time passed quickly and soon they were saying good night. Angie stood at the front door and waved as Alan left in a taxi. If he'd been drinking he never drove his car. Angie was feeling pleased with herself. The evening had gone well. Alan had certainly enjoyed himself, until Clare had started with her sexist remarks. It always upset him for some reason. Angie did it herself often enough, but it didn't bother Matthew at all. She locked the front door and walked back into the lounge.

Clare was curled up in a chair, drinking a cup of chocolate.

"Angie, why does Alan think he's not a gentleman, if he's not one, who is? I know he messes around, but his manners are impeccable."

"Oh, I don't know. I suppose it's because he's such a joker. He probably doesn't think of himself in that way. He hates it when people say he's handsome. Bob said something recently about his handsome Junior Partner and Alan was really embarrassed. I suppose he's just modest."

"Yes, he is modest." said Clare.

Angie sat down. "I often think you'd make a good counsellor, you're such a good listener. And there's something about Alan. I can't quite put my finger on it. He's got more talents than he knows about. Hidden talents. I often wonder what he'd be if he wasn't an accountant."

"I can't imagine him being anything other than an accountant." said Clare. "Although I sometimes think he would make a good comedian, but what sort I really couldn't say."

"I'd say a stand-up comedian, but he's too lazy for that." said Angie, smiling. "He'd had to be the sit-down kind like Dave Alan, remember him?"

"Alan's not lazy, though, is he, he's hard working and conscientious." said Clare.

"I mean not wanting any physical exercise, he never climbs the stairs and he always uses the lift."

"I see what you mean. That's funny, because when I saw him again after all these years, he was getting into the lift." said Clare. "Although, he has climbed up the stairs with me a few times lately."

"He likes your company." said Angie. Then realizing she may have said too much, she changed the subject.

"Perhaps he could have his own Show." said Angie. "He could call it 'The Alan Harding Laughter Show'."

Clare chuckled. "You could sing and I could dance."

Angie laughed. "And Matthew could play the guitar."

"We'll have to tell Alan on Monday." said Clare.

"Well, that sorted that one out." said Angie, as she rose to her feet. "I'm off to bed, are you okay?"

"I'm fine and thank you for a lovely evening." said Clare. "I'm sure Alan enjoyed himself. He's looking much better lately, don't you think, after all that trauma?"

"Yes, he is and I think you're looking better, too."

Clare stood up and gave Angie a hug. "Well, it's all thanks to you. You're like a sister to me. You've both been wonderful, you and Matthew." Tears sprang to Angie's eyes. She hated it when Clare said things like this.

"A funny pair of sisters we would make, me black and you white." she replied.

"But colour's nothing." said Clare, still hugging Angie. "I mean spiritually. I feel very close to you. I couldn't care less if you were pink with yellow spots or if I was green with blue squares, I'd still love you very much."

Angie was feeling too choked up to reply. She sniffed.

"If you hadn't been in my life when Hal died I don't know what I would have done." said Clare.

"Everything happens for a reason." said Angie. She was too upset to say more and pulled herself gently away.

"Good night." said Clare.

Feeling embarrassed, Angie moved to the door then turned back saying quickly, "Good night, Clare and I love you too."  Then she hurried from the room.

In an emotional state and with her eyes still moist, Angie climbed the stairs to bed. When she had washed and cleaned her teeth she went to their room and found Matthew lying in bed, waiting for her. She sat on the bed and started to undress.

"Alan's a nice guy." said Matthew. "Doesn't Clare realise he's got a crush on her? It looks so obvious to me."

"They've known each other for so long, it doesn't occur to her. Anyway, she's still missing Hal." said Angie. She pulled on her night dress and climbed into the bed beside him.

Matthew pulled the light switch, turning off the light and they snuggled down together.

"They'd make a lovely couple wouldn't they?" said Matthew.

"Yes they would, but life is more complicated than that don't you think?"

"Only when we make it that way." said Matthew. He kissed Angie on the cheek.

"I love you so much." he said.

"I love you, too." Angie replied.

"You've done another good deed tonight." said Matthew putting his arm around her and bringing her closer. "I'm wondering what Clare will do next. I don't mind this situation, but it feels a bit odd sometimes. Do you think we should find somewhere else to live?"

"I know you've said that before, but I can't think about that now." said Angie. "It will all pan out the way it should, I really believe that."

"Yes, I suppose you're right." said Matthew.

"I'm always right." said Angie.

Matthew laughed and they cuddled and kissed and then drew apart.

Angie hated thinking about what would happen about the house, as she loved it so much. She knew they couldn't possibly afford to buy it from Clare, although that's what she desperately wanted to do, but she couldn't think about that now. She had two people to pray for, before she fell asleep. Alan and Clare. If ever two people were meant for one another, it was the two of them, however that situation had come about and Angie was determined to play her part in bringing them together.

But the words 'Oh, what a tangled web we weave' ran haphazardly through her head before sleep overtook her.