Chapter Eleven

The weeks flew by and Clare found herself settling into the ways of the Dixon and Halfpenny office. There was plenty to learn, but everyone was kind and patient. After the first three weeks she felt more competent and that was when Bob moved downstairs into Edward Halfpenny's old office across the corridor and Alan into the office adjoining them. He was now the Junior Partner.

Not a day went by when Alan wasn't joking around. Angie was right, he did have a wicked sense of humour. On the other hand, he didn't swear and never said anything inappropriate. He was a gentleman, but in a cheeky sort of way. However, he was always extremely well mannered and professional with clients. He was a strange 'mixture' was Alan and everyone liked him.

Angie was a real character. She was always laughing too and one day Clare heard Bob tell her off for laughing too much, although in a very gentle way. Angie had a full figure, a beautiful smile and flashing black eyes. She often changed her hair-style and Clare like the beaded style best as it looked very African and suited her well.

Angie was popular with the younger men who worked in the Partners Corridor. She called them the 'kid brothers' and they often came into their office to talk to her. One day, Clare found out why Angie was so popular. As Clare had copying to do she walked along the corridor to the photocopy room. She found the 'kid brothers' grouped in the doorway. "Shush" said Tony, lifting his finger to his lips as she approached. Angie was stood at the photocopier with her back to them all singing a Whitney Houston number. Her singing voice was perfectly pitched, deep and powerful and listening to her gave Clare goose bumps. Angie was half way through the song when she turned round and saw them all watching her. "Oh, you lot... clear off," she shouted. They clapped and whistled and sauntered noisily back to their office. "Where did you learn to sing like that?" asked Clare "You could be a professional."

"I sing in a gospel choir, I suppose you'd call it that. I go to a Baptist church on the Old Gloucester Road." Clare was deeply impressed.

As the weeks went by, Clare and Angie found they had a lot in common. They both believed in God, their faith was important to them and they both loved music. Clare had once been a member of a Light Opera Company, she could sing too, although she knew her voice could never compete with Angie's.

Most days the lads would come to talk to Angie about films and music, all sorts really and Clare would listen. One morning the four of them had gathered around her desk talking and joking. "Quick," said someone "Bob's coming" and they all hurried back to their office. A few seconds later, Bob popped his head around the door.

"All okay ladies?" he asked.

"Yes, Bob, we're fine." said Clare.

"Have you seen Alan?" asked Bob, juggling his bushy eyebrows up and down.

"He'll be back around 11.30 am." said Clare.

"I'll catch him later, then." he said, as he left their office.

"That was a close shave." said Angie. "Bob gets mad with them sometimes, they can be a nuisance."

"It just occurred to me, it's like bees round the honey pot with you Angie." remarked Clare. "All these young men gathered around your desk."

"Very funny." smiled Angie. She paused. "That is strange, because mum and dad call me 'Honey' all the time, it's my family nickname. They never call me Angela. I don't know why they named me that in the first place, they never call me Angela. Matthew does it too, sometimes."

"It sounds American." said Clare "They say that don't they? Alan uses Americanisms a lot, doesn't he; guys and jerks and all sorts of words and I wish he wouldn't. I really hate Americanisms."

They carried on with their work and later that morning Alan returned. Shortly afterwards, Bob went into Alan's office carrying two thick files under his arm.

"Have you been married long, Angie?" asked Clare quietly.

"We were married last December at our church. We had a wonderful time, the reception was held in the church hall. Everyone came, it was a really special day."

"We were married last December too and we're still on honeymoon, if you get my meaning."

"Yeah, I know what you mean Clare." laughed Angie. "So are we!"

They talked about honeymoons. Angie said they didn't go away on honeymoon as they couldn't afford it. Clare said they'd gone to Lanzarote. Alan walked into their office, needing a file from one of the cabinets.

"Did you go away on Honeymoon, Alan?" asked Clare.

"Yes, we went to the Bahamas." he said. "We had the most fantastic time, the best two weeks of my life! I'd love to go back. Marie thought it was the most wonderful place she'd ever seen. It was fantastic!"

"Oh" said Angie "I didn't know that. The Bahamas...yes, I think I'd like to go there."

Alan turned to walk back into his office, but stopped suddenly by Clare's desk, saying,

"By the way Clare, we've decided to let you have a parking space in the car park, that is if you'd like it?" Clare was delighted and she jumped at the chance.

"Yes, please, that would be wonderful. Thank you."

"Don't thank me, thank Bob, it was his idea." Alan returned to his office.

Five minutes later, Clare knocked on Alan's door and asked him and Bob if they would like coffee, which they did. She made the coffee in the kitchen and took it back to Alan's room, placing the cups in front of them. "Thank you so much for the car parking space, Bob, it's such a drag catching the bus." she said.

"That's all right Clare." he replied. "You're very welcome. You're part of the team and you deserve it." He shot her a smile and his bushy eyebrows moved rapidly up and down.

"Isn't Bob nice?" said Clare, handing a coffee to Angie.

"Yeah, he's lovely and his wife Helen. They make a lovely couple, not a bit like Alan and Marie, although Alan's besotted with his wife." whispered Angie. "We all think it's a bit peculiar, because none of us like her much."

"Oh well, some people are like that... I mean Marie. She's probably really nice with Alan, but not appealing to anyone else." Clare whispered back to Angie, giving Marie the benefit of the doubt.